playMaker

Author Topic: Is Playmaker worth it or is it better to learn how to code C#?  (Read 771 times)

Begaid

• Playmaker Newbie
I am new to programming but do have a rudimentary understanding of code. I am not nearly at the point that I could code up a project on my own but do have ideas that I want to get out. I am interested in getting Playmaker because it seems easy to pick and plug in but I want to be sure its worth it. I watched a video detailing that it is difficult to update builds of games and collaborate with others when using Playmaker. If this was true, though, I am currently a solo dev, it would make collaborate, if the opportunity arises, difficult to say the least. So I ask the community of experienced developers, are these claims against Playmaker true? Is it worth learning to use?

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
Re: Is Playmaker worth it or is it better to learn how to code C#?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 06:49:42 PM »
I'm biased but I think it's a good tool. Keep things simple at first like for any project. Try to find a few finished projects available on the Asset Store that use PM.
Stick to PC programming with Playmaker. If you want to dabble in mobile games, only do it on iOS. IMHO the real issue lies outside of Playmaker and this is where Android will be hard to work on.

bobask

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Is Playmaker worth it or is it better to learn how to code C#?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 08:52:52 AM »
The decision to use Playmaker or any other visual scripting tool ultimately depends on your specific needs, preferences, and project requirements. Playmaker can be a powerful tool for prototyping, rapid development, and creating gameplay logic without writing traditional code.