playMaker

Author Topic: Loading textures from a web server!  (Read 3441 times)

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
Loading textures from a web server!
« on: November 22, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »
Hey guys, i'm a happy PlayMaker customer since... the beginning, BUT i rarely used it beyond creating basic interactions (doors, etc.) needed for my clients (interior and product visualizations). I spend my whole time on the design/modeling side of the projects... and that why i'm here to ask for your help.
Please i need to know how to load textures from a web server! The idea is simple: clients upload their advertising materials to a web server and i display them in the 3D environment (like below)

then we load the ads into the placeholder canvas like this

I poked around for information about the WWWobject, but couldnt compose any working FSM :(

Please, i would be very grateful if someone shows me the steps required to load/store/display the image... or if there is a tutorial, or a beginner friendly documentation.

Thanks in advance!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Loading textures from a web server!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 02:15:41 AM »
Hi,

Nice scene visuals!

Yes, online access is not fully supported in PlayMaker right now. this should be quite simple tho:
http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/WWW-texture.html

I'll see if I can fit that in in the next few days. Else don't hesitate to bump this thread.

bye,

Jean

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 03:08:39 AM »
Thanks a lot for the reply Jean!
Nice scene visuals!
Thanks, i wish i could understand code as well as i do graphics, but thats why we help each other. right?

Have a good day!

Edit: i did it with code, the hardest part was overcoming my fear... after that it was cool!
here is my working test scene
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 04:40:03 AM by clandestine »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 05:06:27 AM »
hi,

Very cool, once the interactivity will be there, it will be enjoyable for sure ( and I just love rc to begin with anyway...)

bye,

Jean

shinodan

• Shinozone
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 06:05:02 AM »
Your visuals are beautiful!

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 07:52:25 AM »
Your visuals are beautiful!
Thanks a lot, actually this is a 'playground' level, where we test things before implementing them into the real game. Most of the environment is done by the environmental artist, the car designs are mine... the Lightmap is done with Unity Free.
In the 'actual game' i'm aiming at a strange and original visual style... i just hope we can pull it off.

Thanks....