playMaker

Author Topic: Beginner Help  (Read 5557 times)

Eirestudios

• Playmaker Newbie
Beginner Help
« on: December 07, 2012, 12:12:01 PM »
Hello Guys, I'm new to Unity and Playmaker so sorry if I sound like a real newb here, I'm wondering if anyone would give me a few tips on adding 2d player controls to a cube using only Playmaker if it's possible? I know how to add player controls using Unity but I really want to learn how to do it using Playmaker only.
Thanks in advance  ;)

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
Re: Beginner Help
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 07:55:04 AM »
Hello Guys, I'm new to Unity and Playmaker so sorry if I sound like a real newb here, I'm wondering if anyone would give me a few tips on adding 2d player controls to a cube using only Playmaker if it's possible? I know how to add player controls using Unity but I really want to learn how to do it using Playmaker only.
Thanks in advance  ;)

Its not that hard. you only need to add/remove value on the characters X position.
If you read around this forum you can find much help about that to :-)

shinodan

• Shinozone
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:03:31 AM »
Adding an x value will only move the cube, it wont be controlled according to your char motor settings.
Its been a year and im still struggling with this method. In most cases persistence and patience will give you the results your looking for, but unless we get actions for this there's not much that can be done in regards to this.

Eirestudios

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 10:43:56 AM »
Adding an x value will only move the cube, it wont be controlled according to your char motor settings.
Its been a year and im still struggling with this method. In most cases persistence and patience will give you the results your looking for, but unless we get actions for this there's not much that can be done in regards to this.
So your saying I can't recreate the standard unity 2d controller using only playmaker?

shinodan

• Shinozone
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 11:18:59 AM »
Yes and no.

If you just want to move him about with vectors, that can be done with playmaker.
but controlling a player with playmaker via the char motor cant be done (without the actions)

The actions that come with playmaker include controller move and controller simple move
you could use these to set up a basic controller but these actions dont act according to your char motor settings.

The thing about playmaker is anything is achievable. just spend some time with it!

Eirestudios

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 11:23:51 AM »
Yes and no.

If you just want to move him about with vectors, that can be done with playmaker.
but controlling a player with playmaker via the char motor cant be done (without the actions)

The actions that come with playmaker include controller move and controller simple move
you could use these to set up a basic controller but these actions dont act according to your char motor settings.

The thing about playmaker is anything is achievable. just spend some time with it!

Ya I have been messing around with it over the last few days and I must say I'm very impressed with it, I can move the cube no problem but getting it to act like the 2D controller is proving difficult :( maybe it can be something that can be added to the roadmap for a future update.. Thanks for your help anyway

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 11:32:21 AM »
Yes and no.

Sure you can, but it will take some work for you.
You can send stuff to any script that you use, but to make a complete character system only with Playmaker will take time and right now I do not see the benifit to spend that time.

But I use a normal script for this and use playmaker for all most all other stuff, like AI, meny, score etc.

In the end you decide how much you want to use it and how much work you will spend to make stuff work.
I know it will save a lot of time with playmaker and there is also alot of other plugins that has playmaker support.
The best source for information and help with playmaker is here.  ;)