playMaker

Author Topic: Astar Pathfinding using default FSM's (Academic experiment)  (Read 16247 times)

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
Re: Astar Pathfinding using default FSM's (Academic experiment)
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 12:46:40 AM »
Hey thanks, I got great help from the links you posted.

Yes, seeing this working gives a level of satisfaction. The algorithm seems to be tricky, until you solve it.

I began this as an academic experiment to understand Astar, also see if it's possible with PlayMaker and to what extent. Also, I really want a dig at the algorithm and build a system which I understand inside out and can exploit to the fullest in different games. I really not fond of black boxed systems.

Now that this is showing some promises, I'll continue work on this and see if it can be made into a flexible, reusable system, which is also open and easily understandable. I'm still not sure how fast this is. On a larger grid, and especially if the target is dynamic, and it has to recalculate the heuristic continuously. But as I understand the system now, I can see there's multiple ways of doing this. And it be custom made for the type of gameplay. TBS can have different implementations than point and click. Also, the heuristic itself can be replaced completely, the heuristic is separated from the system, so, you are free to try different heuristics for different purpose.

PS: The waypoints are already dumped in the Waypoints array attached to the Gamecontroller. The array is reversed and trimmed and ready to use for movement.  :P

KozTheBoss

• You dont fail unless you give up trying to succeed
    • Pixel Life - portfolio
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 12:10:22 PM »
My client crashes every time i click run =(
Remember, you don't fail unless you give up trying to succeed!

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 12:26:58 PM »
My client crashes every time i click run =(

Did you install ArrayMaker?

sebaslive

• Frame Tale Studios
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »
This is working out great! It also introduced me to the array system which is double bonus. The more work on playmaker the better, thanks for this!
All my VR games use Steam VR Playmaker Toolkit: http://u3d.as/u20
And Oculus Touch Playmaker Toolkit: http://u3d.as/QT5

Follow me @sebasRez