playMaker

Author Topic: Has anyone created TD or RTS type with Playmaker?  (Read 6208 times)

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Has anyone created TD or RTS type with Playmaker?
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:02:46 PM »
Just curious, I've been tinkering with the idea of making a prototype citybuilder type game and was curious if anyone had approached that with playMaker yet.

Ideas?
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

kiriri

Re: Has anyone created TD or RTS type with Playmaker?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 07:56:34 AM »
I am working on an rts after I finished a tower defense. What would you want to know?
Best,
Sven

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 08:08:25 AM »
Just general questions really, I'd like to get an idea of how to approach a tile based system with playMaker, building placement/ghosting, how to handle path finding, and some of the things that posed were roadblocks or more challenging than expected.

Mostly approaching the tile based system though. I have ideas on the rest, but the tile system is kind of drawing a blank for me. If not tile based, then alternatives.

Do you have a link to the game? I'd love to check it out it.
Products by Cleverous

kiriri

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 08:20:20 AM »
tile based systems, pathfinding and building setting can all be handled by aaron's A* pathfinding solution. You can find some actions for it in the new actions section here in the forums. I'll likely release a new update this weekend, but it will be backwards compatible, so you can just start testing with the old package and then just update later.

The Grid based system uses nodes of a certain size which save whether a certain coordinate in the game is walkable or not. So if you say every node has only 4 connections to nearby nodes, and set the node size to something larger, you end up with a tile system which can also be used in pathfinding.

building setting can be done with the IsNodeWalkable action, and the IsPathPossible actions in a TD.
In a strategy game you likely want buildings which are larger than one node, so there you can use the area node walkable action.

Play around with it and then ask specific questions. I've been through pretty much all of it but it would be a very long post if I tried to explain how to do ALL of it.

EDIT: right now the rts is not really in a showable state. I can show it to you in a few hours when I've fixed the lighting.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:28:23 AM by kiriri »
Best,
Sven

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 08:46:02 AM »
Oh, nice! Just found your thread. ( http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=2540.0 )

It looks pretty informative so I'll look into it more after work, thanks for the reply!
Products by Cleverous

Sjones

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:20:40 AM »
I am currently nearing the end of a city building game, there's no fighting or AI movement so I cant help out there yet, its for android so not sure how relevant my approach is due to performance limitations have had to do a lot of optimization and in turn some strange work arounds.

I dont have much time to spare atm as it is near completion, however ask away and if I can help I will, will most likely write some sort of write up / doc / help once finished on aspects of this type of game.

Der_Kevin

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »
Hey,
I know this thread is pretty old but have any of you figure out how building placement work? With all the nice transparent when not placed and red when not placeable stuff? :)
In my case i dont even need a grid system. Free placement is totaly okay :)

Just asking if anybody achieved that with playmaket before