playMaker

Author Topic: parenting objects question [SOLVED]  (Read 2589 times)

part12studios

• Playmaker Newbie
parenting objects question [SOLVED]
« on: January 12, 2013, 11:34:53 AM »
Hi there,

i'm following a tutorial that i watch and i see him drag an emitter into the folder of the object the particles are associated with..  in his video the particles don't rotate with the coin, but when i do its rotating with the coin..  i am doing it the same way as best i can tell..  so how would i parent things together, but not be bound in such a way

Thanks!
Caleb
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:21:08 AM by part12studios »

Vallar

• Junior Playmaker
Re: parenting objects question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 01:42:23 PM »
Hello Caleb,

If you are referring to the tutorials regarding Playmaker itself that would be depending on where did you create the state and the FSM.
As you can see in the video he created an empty object called Coin and parented the coin object to it and then parented the particle effect to the previously empty object.

If you create the FSM and the states while selecting the parent object (the empty game object and the highest in the list) it will rotate the whole thing with the particles, I believe. If you however only select the child coin object and create the FSM and the states on it, that would only rotate that object.

So it would like this in Hierarchy view:

Coin (parent empty object) ---> don't select this to create the FSM and states, it will rotate everything
|__ Coin (child actual coin object) ---> select this to create the FSM and states, it will rotate the coin only
|__ Particles

Let me know if that fixed it for you.

Good luck.

part12studios

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: parenting objects question [SOLVED]
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 11:20:32 AM »
Thanks Vallar! 

here is an example also of what i was referring too http://part12studios.com/Temp/web_demo1/ just to offer a living example. 

but yea i definitely see what you're referring too now and was able to fix the problem.  i didn't realize the root object had a script in it.. which of course effected its children..  totally makes sense. 

I see now that I need to make empty partent objects to move all of the actual scripted things into.. new concept for me being able to nest objects inside of empty objects from previous tools. 

Thanks,
Caleb

Vallar

• Junior Playmaker
Re: parenting objects question [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:43:38 AM »
I know what do you mean exactly. It takes a bit of time to wrap one's head around that concept. Glad though you sorted it out :D