playMaker

Author Topic: Genius needed for Animation Speed question! :)  (Read 2512 times)

MajorIdea

Genius needed for Animation Speed question! :)
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:36:34 PM »
Hi, Im have a character that can fly and it has an animation of it flapping its wings. The way the character speed works is by using an Animate float. So I can have a max speed of 30 and it takes a few seconds to reach that speed.

If that was that I could have an Animate float on the animation speed. But I have another state called gliding, and I go between the two fairly often, so that doesn't work.

Not a valid youtube URL
I saw this video where he uses a Float Operator to divide between two floats in order to get the Animation speed synchronized with the character speed. But its not working for me.

If I tell it to Operate between 0 and the max speed it will play the animation from 0x to 30x, which is silly.

What I need is a way of saying that one float = 0 and another = 1 and have the operation be divided along that, so the animation speed is never above 1.
That way, with the max speed of 30: 0=0 / 15=0,5  / 30=1

Is there a way of doing this using playmaker?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:42:40 PM by MajorIdea »

Alio

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Genius needed for Animation Speed question! :)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »
This might not solve your problem and may add more work than needed.  But i was thinking perhaps you could duplicate that animation and name it as say "flyanimation2" or whatever you called the original and add 2 to the back end of it and make it its own animation state.  Then with that you can change its animation speed and then bend it so technically you will bounce between 4 or 5 animations instead of 2 or 3. With the blending you can adjust how quickly it flips over between the animations without having it look super slow motion at .00001 cause going from a glide to an almost non moving flight animation at the speed of .0001 seems a bit ridiculous. Don't know if that will help or if it makes you more confused but in my head it seems like it can play out right if made them with global events with Send Event actions on float compares.

That or you may have ot use a curve to control animation speed vs movement speed. for example if moving z + 1 = 30 and z + 0 = 0 then by using a curve you can make it so at .5 your animation speed is 15.  That should work though i've only used line curves for rotation and ive found that when you turn back to 0 it rotates back it doesnt keep that rot. value saved.  Though for animation you wont have to store information like that so it should work for you.  Hope that helps.
I just frankenstein it.

MajorIdea

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:51:20 PM »
That IS ingenious!

It would have worked too, but the gliding state has an animation too, so when it goes from gliding to flying it blends between those two. I could probably redo the state machine to work around it, but that hardly seems like a good choice  :-\
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:07:03 PM by MajorIdea »

Alio

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »
When you play the animation states you can change how much it blends to where it almost jumps from one to the other you just want to play with it to make it look smooth.. also.. you can just do that same thing for the gliding that you did for the flying and have faster/slower plays of both or you can even use the same animation and x2 or 1/2 its time with animation speeds if you really wanted to and just name them as different starting states on your global events just be sure to keep track of what is what.
I just frankenstein it.