playMaker

Author Topic: playmaker competition  (Read 8193 times)

kiriri

playmaker competition
« on: May 29, 2012, 04:57:35 PM »
So it seems I'm not the only one who feels like a playmaker competition would be useful.

So far there's not much of a concept though. We'd need a theme and a timeframe. I can provide premade assets so everyone could fully focus on achieving the best gameplay and have the same chances.

So my suggestion would be a 7 day competition , and a vote on the theme. Any opinions? Additions? Comments?
Best,
Sven

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
Re: playmaker competition
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:27:34 PM »
It would be fun i think.. but it would take organization to do of course and a lot of people are busy doing actual projects.

I am not good enough to win but it is fun to jump in and try something.

Q

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:09:35 AM »
Hi,

There is one thing that I think need to be adressed before creating competition, it's the availability of playmaker as a trial. Without this I don't think it would be as good and "attracting" as it can be, because, we, playmaker owner are sold, because we can see it work. I am saying from a point of view where PLaymaker would endorse the competition of course. It it's just for fun between members, I am all up for it as well of course!

Yes it would need organisation and time. But I can for example ask M2H the permission to base our "contest" ( "competition" is bit too much without any prizes and $$$ :) ). I have for example two pending games from him, that are actually simple, very simple, so we could launch something quickly, because all assets and gamePlay is already there, and see how it goes. If someone wants to step in with some assets and a game play, by all mean this would be very good too.

Bye,

Jean

kiriri

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:24:21 AM »
does any of you know Ludum Dare? It's a 48h game competition which uses a nice principle to judge the games. Each participant gets the chance to rate any other submitted game/entry and therefore we don't have to have neutral judges. That would save us some effort, and everyone who organized it could participate too, if I can set up such a system... (I'll have to look into it)

@jeanfabre
I agree about the trial, it would be very nice to have such a trial system. That way our competition could also attract potential customers. Couldn't we use that beta system (with the logo in the corner?) again?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:46:14 AM by kiriri »
Best,
Sven

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 06:48:07 AM »
The trial will need to be a lot more limited than just a watermark I thimk, and the beta is not a good idea I think since it's meant to have potential issues... so  I think it would be better to base trials on stable releases.

Bye,

Jean

kiriri

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »
The trial will need to be a lot more limited than just a watermark I think

can't say I support that decision. I'd just say that if you use more than a watermark restriction (or a build restriction) you'll scare of a lot of customers from just trying it, and you'll also raise the piratery rate exponentially. I personally would rather "look at a very distant relative's copy of the full playmaker" *hrmph* than to try some very limited trial. And then it'd be a very small step to just stick to that copy.
well , that's just me and 80% of the rest of the unity users :P

about the contest, I reconsidered, creating an entirely new website just for the contest is a hastle and will scare off/ enstrangenize (that word does NOT exist :D) folk, so let's just stick to the forums
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:46:57 AM by kiriri »
Best,
Sven

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 03:25:10 AM »
Hi,

no decision here, just proposal :) why would a restricted trial scare people? For example if you constraint 5 states per Fsm, or 5 Fsms component per scene, or similar types of constraint, I don't see where that would put off people, that's enough to see the potential I'd say, after all this is just the trial, to get a feel of the product, and its potential.

Yeah, a dedicated website would be too much for now.

Bye,

Jean

Red

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »
I know that this is a bit of a necro-post but i think that if the idea of a competition is brought up and a trail-version of Playmaker is used... I think a watermark would be helpful (maybe in one of the bottom corners have the Hutong logo and a "not for resale" thing in there... kinda like how NGui does it.)

as for limitations, well, that might be a bit of a thing to put off people from using the system as a trial... if they're too small.

as someone that's ended up with scenes that have multiple FSMs all running at once, I would think that a way to give a "trial-period limitation" would be to limit the number of FSMs on a game object (two at most) and the number of objects with FSMs on them (i'd think 25 would be fair... not counting spawned objects... i'm talking 25 actual objects with FSMs on them.) I think the best way of doing this is not to have it go "you cannot add another FSM to this object" but more of a "you have X too many FSMs, please disable in the inspector the FSMs so that you have 2 before running" that way the user can play around with multiple systems, not be limited in testing but have the limitation for when they want to preview... this way i think if they import an asset such as a spiderling or other Playmaker object that has more, it's not going to throw errors per-se, it's just going to say "hey, now... you've got too many running right now. please disable the object that is being greedy."

as for the prize (Since a prize is always worth tossing in) I don't have the cash for a full-out copy of unity itself but maybe if we all chip in something like $5-10 if the person wins we can give them an option of either getting a full license of playmaker or the cash equivalent credited to their asset-store account if they already have purchased playmaker. (no idea if that's do-able but i think it could be... and if not, maybe wiring it to their paypal account if they have one?)

AND, and i think this is the kicker... have the Hutong games youtube channel involved and the main website involved to announce the winner and the runners up... when you win or get a runner up prize, you get your game's web-build hosted on the site. That way the person gets the attention of both crowds here and on youtube as a "Playmaker builder to take notice of" as well as for them to generate the buzz... and something that might be worth considering if this is do-able for the forum system... give them a little icon of a trophy that sits next to their name and when clicked, brings you to the page where their web-builder sits so you can play it.

I think this does rely on there being a trial version because if that's possible, it gives the prize a good incentive... and I think i can see about putting aside some cash to help with the award... and a tax-thing i was brought to the attention of... the costs of the prizes that Hutong (or any other people that have a licensed company) can apply the monetary costs as a deductable for next tax time as it is a business expense when you really think about it... this would require receipts though so we can track them for tax purposes.

so, to condense... If a trial version of Playmaker is in the works, watermarking and a bit of a limitation would be ideal methinks... so as to give users a chance to play around with it as well as helping give Playmaker some more market saturation and awareness... and a prize for a playmaker contest.

Even better, Maybe if a bunch of us are able (and are using either open-source/free software or have legit licenses of the content creation software to make them) collect a collection of assets such as monsters, players, etc... and the licensing could be that these assets are granted for the use in the contest only (if it's explicitly stated in an agreement, then that does give us creators a legal framework to ensure that someone isn't just ripping our stuff and selling.)

... So, is this something worth considering? I think i can find a couple bucks laying around to chip in for this... basically, i'm all for it and am willing to pony up some cash if this becomes a thing.

.... EDIT:

And one more thing i think might help... While the contest is up and running (and maybe for a week or so afterwards) have playmaker on sale as well? the bigger barrier to entry is usually the cost and though it IS money well spent even at the current full price, if the price was lowered as well as the buzz generated with the contest (and you can bet i'll spam it on my facebook accounts as well as twitter and other sites i frequent) could lead to a significant uptick in sales for the duration of the contest sale... albeit it'd be at a lesser price point but assuming that the average sales per month is something like 50 and the percentage of sales during a sale blitz is increased by about 300% then that means you're getting, overall, more money to Hutong games because of the extra traffic and sales generated during this kind of event.

Yeah, i know... that's very "business-like" in a sense but to be completely honest, if you're a game dev, you kinda have to think like a business-person for at least a little bit (unless you're only making games to give away for free... but, a lot of us do have aspirations of making games into our career and as much as it is a pain to have to think of, if you want to do that, you kinda have to wear the "business-person" hat a little bit.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:50:29 PM by Red »

kiriri

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »
I think it is in the best interest of HutongGames inc to fund such a competition, since even minor success would mean a couple more sold licenses which would easily outweigh the prizes, whatever they may be.
From cg competitions I know that there're always some sponsors somewhere willing to chip in, so that could perhaps make the prizes a bit more attractive.
Speaking of cg, I could probably fix up a monster or 2 if there's enough time.

As for the topic of watermarks... Once upon a time I used such a trial version.
From what I understand, it was dicontinued because you could easily decompile the dll, remove the watermark, and use it as a normal version.
I could understand such a move against piracy at that time... but now? There are so many users here, and from what I can see on websites that share pirated content they often release the cracked version of playmaker even before I get my email about the update  :o
That added to the general tendency of unity users to first test plugins by using pirated versions and then buying them if they like them, makes me of the firm believe that a trial version does not need to be save. Rather, it should make the user aware that he needs to buy the full version each time he uses it.
Ergo, it's about time for the return of the watermark .
Best,
Sven

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 11:38:35 AM »
So it seems I'm not the only one who feels like a playmaker competition would be useful.

So far there's not much of a concept though. We'd need a theme and a timeframe. I can provide premade assets so everyone could fully focus on achieving the best gameplay and have the same chances.

So my suggestion would be a 7 day competition , and a vote on the theme. Any opinions? Additions? Comments?

I don't know why nobody pointed out, but OneGameAMonth is a helluva game jam! I'm having real fun with it. And the themes are quite cool too.

No prizes though. But, who cares!

Dev_Sebas

• 1.2 Beta
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 05:53:56 PM »
You guys really want to make this?
And is Alex agreeing with this?

Yeah we have to choose a theme for the contest.
Go, go!! We need PEOPLE! ;)

Just my 2 cents.
Cheers

Sjones

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 11:57:46 PM »
if we are to go ahead with something like this, I think if the community / hutong games is contributing towards a prize that the winners entry will be shared with all the community for free as a demo project file, showing new comers and the like the capabilities and implementation of different features.

Red

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »
if we are to go ahead with something like this, I think if the community / hutong games is contributing towards a prize that the winners entry will be shared with all the community for free as a demo project file, showing new comers and the like the capabilities and implementation of different features.

Well, only if the person that wins is comfortable with that... you can make some really great FSMs while using the node-equivalent of spaghetti-code. so, it wouldn't really help with a "best practices" kind of thing and might not be the best way to learn by mimicking less-than-ideal node-pushing practices.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:51:44 AM by Red »