playMaker

Author Topic: Don't like new graph window  (Read 8158 times)

cb

• Junior Playmaker
Don't like new graph window
« on: February 18, 2013, 12:19:22 PM »
Am I missing something with the new Graph ? I was looking forward to the zoom, instead I constantly find myself leaving the Graph nicely centred, then when I come back to it the States have gone off the edge of the screen and I need to re-centre everything. I'd prefer the option to 'lock' a Graph exactly as it is. Unless I'm doing something wrong ?

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Don't like new graph window
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:46:15 PM »
The graph view should remember the scroll position within a session.

When you restart Unity the default scroll position should be the same as in previous versions.

Can you describe when you're seeing states go off the screen? A quick video capture would be great...

CatchCo

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 12:06:52 AM »
This only happens to me when something bad happens. I've made a video, thought it was related to a different bug. Btw, when i say "Alt" i mean "option" on the mac keyboard.

cb

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 04:55:54 AM »
I think the same happens to my graph as with CatchCo, an error seems to jumble the graph positions. One thing that certainly does it is loading a scene. My main Gamecontroller FSM, for instance, is pretty busy and takes up almost all of the FSM window and is arranged neatly. I then re-load the current scene (doesn't have to be a new Scene) and I go back to the Gamecontroller FSM and it's shifted to the right and down, enough to nudge the right hand side States offscreen and the bottom placed States just off the bottom of the screen.
I do run on a dual monitor setup, however running PlayMaker on a single screen layout has the same result.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »
Thanks, these are good leads.

Some things that might help in the meantime:

Hitting Home will select and scroll to the Start state.
With no state selected you can right click in the state inspector to select any state.
Hit F to scroll to the selected state.
The State Browser can be useful docked in your layout.
Middle mouse drag to scroll can be quicker than dragging scroll bars.

cb

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 05:30:50 AM »
Just noticed that it's very simple...the Graph changes position whenever a new Unity Layout is chosen. So if I leave my graph nicely centred with all the States viewable and I switch to another Layout, the Graph window will automatically snap itself to the top-left corner.
Not sure if this is deliberate but I'd love the option to save the Graph window position where I left it.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 07:34:34 PM »
Version 1.5.3 saves graph view scroll position and zoom. Submitted to the Asset Store, should be up soon...

cb

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 03:35:55 AM »
Great news Alex. My workflow was being severely held up with this, PM will be perfect once more.

ken

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 02:14:03 PM »
Still having this problem with 1.5.3.f1.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 02:27:32 PM »
Can you describe when you're seeing the problem?

A video capture would also be very helpful since there are so many different workflows with Unity/Playmaker...

ken

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 03:58:18 PM »
Whenever I use command-` to switch away from the playmaker graph editor, the view gets reset to the upper left corner.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 09:13:03 PM »
Can you submit a bug (PlayMaker > Tools > Submit Bug Report) so we can get Playmaker and Unity info.

Thanks!

EDIT: Was able to repro. It doesn't happen with ~ just ctrl+~. Strange... will look into it...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:37:49 PM by Alex Chouls »

FractalCore

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 08:28:03 AM »
I'm not too keen on the new graph view either. At first I thought it wasn't saving the scroll position but then found it was. Just not after I undocked the editor and brought it up again, floating. Which makes sense and wouldn't normally be a problem. Although maybe not great if it forgets between sessions.

So it raised an issue for me. When it comes up, it centres (more or less) the Start action. Even if that means moving other actions out of the frame. I'm not sure what the default action is intended to be when each FSM comes up for the first time in any given session. Is it not possible to have it always remember where you left it between sessions? If not, then what's it's default position intended to be? centre the start state, or maximize to show everything, or put the start state in the upper left corner.

Personally, my workflow has always been to align my actions from the top left corner, working my way down to the right, filling the frame. I liked how there was a fixed corner in the top left. Now there's an infinite scrolling space so there's always room to have it scroll off to the side and lose my position.

The thing is. I've never even needed more room. I like to keep my graphs as tight as possible and have never had a need to do much (or any) scrolling, let alone zooming out and requiring a minimap. Cool features though they are, and I'm sure others find them useful.

It seems to me if it would just have the fixed upper left corner, and by default it reset the view to the top left like it used to, while keeping all the zooming, scrolling, and saving of views, it might help. Maybe have an option to go between that and the infinite scrolling space. It's just a suggestion. Not sure how feasible.

The thing is, currently I may be experiencing a bug that keeps resetting the start to the centre, if so, most of what I said can be disregarded. But I wanted to get across how I for one use Playmaker.

A3DStudio

• Playmaker Newbie
    • A3DStudio
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 08:40:35 AM »
Same here, i don't like this endless scrolling.
Please make it possible to disable the auto scrolling in graph window.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:46:59 AM by A3DStudio »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »
I'll take another look at this...

I've played with a lot of node based graph views, and all of them use an "infinite" canvas (no origin that you can't scroll past). It always bothered me that you had to select all states and move them to get more space on the left, that felt pretty clunky.

But it should be possible to expose a preference for people who liked the old way it worked...