playMaker

Author Topic: Pasting FSM  (Read 2388 times)

tjheuvel

• Playmaker Newbie
Pasting FSM
« on: March 04, 2013, 09:17:39 AM »
Hi there,

I'm using Playmaker to great effect to complement a trigger system. Bascily the game designer has some triggers (such as CharacterCollisionEnter, or ObjectDestroyed) and then i trigger a global Event in Playmaker.

This means all my FSM's look like this:

I was wondering if there was a way to easily import, or paste, an existing "template", and then edit that to specific needs. I dont think actualy FSM Templates are what i want, because it shouldnt actually reference the other state machine, but just copy the states.

Kind regards,
Tijmen

Vallar

• Junior Playmaker
Re: Pasting FSM
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »
I am not sure if this is what you want, but you can select states by holding "Shift" and then just right click and select "Copy States" and then paste them in another FSM. They won't reference the original FSM and you can edit them as you want.

tjheuvel

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:30:24 AM »
Thanks, that works, and its what i want. But could i add a button for that? Is Playmaker extendable enough to the point where i can add events and states in code?

Or is this what templates are used for?

kiriri

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »
if you use the same FSM a lot then a template is indeed what you'd want to use.

And no, unfortunately PlayMaker has very little to offer in sense of extensibility. Most of the interesting parts are in the .dll, and unless you decompiled them with a decompiler like *cough*http://ilspy.net/*cough*, you won't be able to change that. Since wof course you will not use any such techniques because you know that would be illegal, let's just say you try around until you find the right class structure and functions quite by accident, then I guess it should be possible to extend the system in a separate plugin, not sure though as I've not yet had the time to look try combinations to find the right functions.
(I hope this post does not violate any forum or license rules. If it does, or if it is rude to the developers then of course I'll cut it short.)
Best,
Sven

tjheuvel

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 12:14:17 PM »
Thanks! I know about templates, they seem great. My problem is is that they start out similar, in that they all have a "Triggered" event with 1 state, but the implementation is completely different.