PlayMaker Feedback > Feature Requests

In-Editor download actions feature

(1/2) > >>

Lane:

--- Quote from: Alex Chouls on May 29, 2012, 03:50:42 AM ---At some point I'd like to have a built in Online Action Browser in Playmaker, to make it easier to download official action packs like this...

--- End quote ---

I noticed this from an older pathfinding post and think it would be a great feature to have in Unity. A built in browser that lets you download the official Action Asset Packs from the wiki and load them directly, like a miniature version of the asset store but just for convenient access to the wiki page links, basically.

jeanfabre:
Hi,

I will make it happen, if no one else do it before me :) . We need such ecosystem very badly, the wiki and forum as totally unsuitable for the current demand and growth.

So YES, we need this, but I need to be very careful, cause If I commit into doing something like that, it will shadow playmaker own system and potential revenue avenues somehow, and building/maintaining such ecosystem will become a full time job, or at least a very involving part time, so I need to think about how I can turn this ecosystem into something profitable for the developer and people running it, while not making it feel like a rip from your end or cross Alex because he wanted to do this eventually.

I think micro payment or yearly subscription are the two main ways, I don't want any adverts or things like that. So what do you think? micro payment, like 50 cents per action or something ( with your usual coupons and deals if you participate, share your own actions back etc etc), or a yearly subscription, like $10, but with unlimited access and download. I guess a combination of both possibly, with a initial trial of 50 actions, which is more than enough for many indie developers.

basically, I can't commit into such involving system without getting money, that would not be viable for me as this is my job in the end, I am a full time  freelancer doing just that: Unity and playmaker. I estimate the cost of the initial development to around $7000, which is ruffly a full time month of proper development, so I need this kind of money either up front or in the long run to make it worthwhile... you see my problem? :)

Doing the math, there is around 3557 members on the forum, which is likely the same number of playmaker developer with a license. So if 40% of them subscribe to this yearly, It would create a income of $14 000 per year which would largely cover for the time to spend on this, maintaining the system, making it evolve, provide outstanding custom support ( anything less would be a failure...). but I am not sure how realistic this number is, in a time where everyone expect free services and support, and where basically, they already paid for playmaker license, why should they pay for more on top. That's where a initial 50 actions for free could make it less difficult for the playmaker user to acknowledge as something useful and fine to pay for.

your thoughts on making this a viable and positive system is more than welcomed.

bye,

Jean

Mayhem:
A yearly subscription to constantly updating old and new Actions for like 10 Bucks? Hell, count me in! :D

Mayhem:
No, jeanfabre, i think you're wrong at one point:

--- Quote --- but I am not sure how realistic this number is, in a time where everyone expect free services and support, and where basically, they already paid for playmaker license, why should they pay for more on top.
--- End quote ---

We paid a PM-License, yeah and got all the Standard-Actions for Unity. But we can't really demand, that you and the others make all the Custom Actions for different PlugIns (NGUI, SmoothMoves, PoolManager, etc.) as fast as possible and for FREE!

I think the most PM Users are dependent on you and some other Action-Writers, so i think it is just fair to accredit your work.
We ( a small two-people team) have very small income, but we are willing to pay for good stuff: and the support here is awesome.

Red:
If i may make a suggestion? nesting it within the Playmaker drop-down menu... is that do-able?

Also, maybe have a slot in the playmaker drop-down for third-party action pack functions so maybe being able to clean up the bar a little bit and slip the Array maker functions into that menu (seriously, i think if there is no issue with licensing that it ought to become stock with PM.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version