playMaker

Author Topic: Rotorz Tile System Actions  (Read 4715 times)

kruncher

• Playmaker Newbie
Rotorz Tile System Actions
« on: March 19, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
We have just released a selection of open-source actions for Rotorz Tile System which can be downloaded from the Bitbucket repository:

https://bitbucket.org/rotorz/rtsplaymakeractions/overview

The objective of these actions is to provide key functionality for interacting with tile systems at runtime rather than to simply expose all functions, properties and fields.

Reference pages have been added to the wiki for each action which can be accessed easily via the help icon in the PlayMaker interface. Browse through the actions in the following link:

https://bitbucket.org/rotorz/rtsplaymakeractions/wiki

A good workflow is to define a variable that references the active tile system which can then be passed into the various actions. The variable can be initialised in a setup state, and can then be easily selected using the PlayMaker interface (as opposed to manually selecting them each time).

Both tile systems and brushes can be dragged from the Rotorz Tile System palette windows and dropped onto the PlayMaker action fields for easier selection. Unfortunately it is currently not possible to use the dedicated brush selection fields within the PlayMaker action user interface.

Enjoy guys!

amaranth

Re: Rotorz Tile System Actions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 09:05:11 PM »
I can vouch that Rotorz is AWESOME. If you're making a 2D or 3D tile-based game, or even a 2D game with layers of backgrounds, it's hard to beat this tool.

Check out the screenshot of what I've been able to make with it. The screenshot is a little low quality. In the game, the art looks flawless. I have two layers here: (a) background - seamless, you would never think it was tiled, (b) foreground - bricks, (c) animated water - will require a little extra coding, (d) objects with different shaped box colliders.

I'm currently using the Rotorz Playmaker actions to build and destroy terrain during gameplay, determine where my creatures can & can't go without having to rely on the physic engine, and a few other things.

Oh yeah... only THREE draw calls!!!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:09:13 PM by amaranth »