playMaker

Author Topic: NIGHTMARE AFTER UPGRADING UNITY  (Read 7395 times)

markfrancombe

NIGHTMARE AFTER UPGRADING UNITY
« on: March 31, 2013, 06:49:05 AM »
OOPS SORRY FOR THE CAPS!

Just upgraded Unity to latest version, but this happened!!!

WHATS UP??
All of the PlayMaker files are lost, theres no PM menu.. I can see the PM stuff in the project but they are not linked in the Inspector, only showing PlayMakerFSM, but nothing else!!!

Theres some errors about window layouts... and something wrong with the character Contorller...

There alot of work gone into this project, it IS backup up, but the Backup gives the same errors in this version of Unity, but Ive never had much luck rolling back Unity to earlier versions.

hope someone can help.. should I re-import PM for example?
Mark

markfrancombe

Re: NIGHTMARE AFTER UPGRADING UNITY
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 12:53:37 PM »
No answers?

I tried re-importing PlayMaker, but it crashed right at the end... Now if I try to start up the project Unity crashes what ever I do!!!

Any suggestions as to how to save this is very much appreciated!!

Mark

rstralberg

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »
I can't give any help.
Just wanted to tell that I use PlayMaker with Unity 4.1 without any problems. I guess something in your code doesn't match Unity. Isn't it possible to make a new project and import you playmaker parts into that until you see what causes the crash
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:35:52 PM by rstralberg »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:08:39 PM »
It looks like a few different issues going on.

Do you have a pre-update backup of your project? If so, restore that to get your project loading again. If not, you could try deleting the Playmaker dlls in explorer/finder, then reload the project.

Any errors in a project can stop unity from compiling editor scripts (e.g., Playmaker). So you have to fix those first. There were some changes in Unity 4 that meant old unity prefabs would now have errors. Search for this on the Unity forums. (E.g., character controller errors in unity 4).

Also it looks like you're missing a list proxy script. Did you download this? It doesn't ship with Playmaker, so I'm not sure where you got it. Maybe ArrayMaker?

markfrancombe

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 07:17:45 PM »
It looks like a few different issues going on.

I was worried about that, Although, I have no idea why, as this project worked flawlessly before. Im afraid its my "programming" project, with no graphics in, that I intend to transfer into the graphical project soon.

Do you have a pre-update backup of your project? If so, restore that to get your project loading again.
I do, but the same thing happens if I start up, it will crash. Often after trying to select something in the console, or changing tabs. There seems to be something wrong with the layouts, and that seems to be throwing errors... But dont know how to fix/avoid that.

If not, you could try deleting the Playmaker dlls in explorer/finder, then reload the project.

OK, which? (I find the main PlayMaker.dll in the PlayMaker folder, but also some in the editor folder, that look like localising files or something???)
and why? Do you mean for me to re-import PlayMaker after that?, Should the settings contained in the components you see disconnected from their PlayMaker Actions, RE-connect? And All will be OK; Or am I basically buggered. Cos if so I'd rather know, and get on with rebuilding... I have screenshots for many of the steps... (Plus threads here where Ive droned on about what Ive been doing)

Any errors in a project can stop unity from compiling editor scripts (e.g., Playmaker). So you have to fix those first. There were some changes in Unity 4 that meant old unity prefabs would now have errors. Search for this on the Unity forums. (E.g., character controller errors in unity 4).

I know that of course, but weird that I WAS already running Unity 4, this was just an update! Damn IT!!! All was OK b4!!!

Also it looks like you're missing a list proxy script. Did you download this? It doesn't ship with Playmaker, so I'm not sure where you got it. Maybe ArrayMaker?

Yes this is ArrayMaker, but ... its THERE... in the folders... as are all the missing actions, they have just become disconnected...

Hope this can give you some more info to help me, although deleting the dlls seems to be your main suggestion...

Cheers

MArk

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:25:08 PM »
The main reason I suggested deleting the dlls was because you said you reimported playmaker and it crashed at the end. So maybe you had corrupt files. Or editor and runtime dlls were out of sync...

The dlls I meant are Playmaker.dll and PlaymakerEditor.dll.

You should be able to fix this. I need to take another look at your error log. (Not at my computer right now).

You could also try installing the previous version of Unity again...

markfrancombe

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 05:25:27 AM »
The main reason I suggested deleting the dlls was because you said you reimported playmaker and it crashed at the end. So maybe you had corrupt files. Or editor and runtime dlls were out of sync...

So you mean that I should reimport PlayMaker?
I have a general issue with the Asset Store, it very often crashes when loading a new thing from there. I tend to import to a blank project and then import the package from my machine rather than thru asset store...

Can I just copy the .dlls from the back-up from before this import and overwrite them in the new crashing version? Ill try that anyway...

Mark

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 05:36:36 AM »
Hi,

From what I can see, you do need that CharacterMotor script. Check the first error the console fires, you need to solve that first hand,

Ignore the rest really.Until there are no errors on the console, the unity menu, playmaker editor and various othe elements of Unity will no function properly when you open the project. It does work ok when an error fires while you work on things, but opening up ( for that matter upgrading in your case) Unity with errors is never going to give you a stable Unity.

bye,

Jean

markfrancombe

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 06:15:37 AM »
As I said, the project worked fine before I upgraded Unity, as you say I wouldnt have done it if it wasnt a good working project.

I tried removing the .dlls and reimporting PlayMaker, but it crashed.. now with this obscure message See attatchment.

Obviously I cant find the file it mentions... MemoryStream???

What about this?
What if make new project, import clean PlayMaker, hopefully no errors... then package up the project file, and assets of the broken project MINUS PlayMaker and import that...

When you talk about distributing Projects for people to help on, we msut NOT include the PM folders obviously, so Im assuming that means that the Components SHOULD link up to new installations?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 07:17:38 AM »
Hi,

what version of Unity?

I found that nonw of my current project really works on 4.1, and I use for now 4.0 too much junk and weird stuff happening on 4.1 for many frameworks, so maybe that's also related.

do you have backup of that project?

bye,

Jean

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »
A lot of my stuff went to garbage after I upgraded it to 4.0 and if you browse the unity forums for more than 5 minutes you'll realize that the 4.1.1 update is breaking things everywhere, they took it off of the website and are considering reverting the patch.

So this guy here isn't updating squat for a while.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

markfrancombe

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 09:26:21 AM »
So you all would suggest 4.0?

I think I have that still... As for having backups, Im not sure, Im pretty sure I do on my Time Machine... Im travelling now. I keep all my stuff on Dropbox, so I should be able to rebuild it... but I always find it hard to restore a whole folder... But OK.. Im going to try to revert now and see if I can get it working...

MArk

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 02:48:38 AM »
Hi,

Yes, they really messed up 4 upgrades... not good for business...

bye,

Jean