playMaker

Author Topic: translation help  (Read 1845 times)

rickg

• Playmaker Newbie
translation help
« on: April 10, 2013, 03:28:09 AM »
Hey all, I'm building an animation tree with lots of motions.  My initial issue was that when the momentum is zero, I change states from a "walk" to a "slow down." Using the controllerSimpleMove would stop the translation down the forward vector so I decided not to use it ans instead put translations or itween actions on each of my animation states.

I have to say, I've spent hours banging my head on this. Sometimes they don't play, sometimes they keep playing even though the "playAnimation" action has finished and should have triggered a state change. I've tried translate, itweenMoveAdd, and I've tried putting the actions on other states and objects. Any thoughts? other than redo it in Mechanim?  (it's not a humanoid, and since it moves so slowly, my cycles are long... 40 frame walk, etc. When it stops having forward momentum but still has 23 frames in the cycle, it's very noticeable.
Here is a paired down sample of the tree, in case it sheds any light.

Anyway, I've been loving Playmaker so far. I just hope to get past this. Crazy thoughts and tips welcome.  Thanks!

Rick_

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: translation help
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 01:39:22 AM »
Hi,

should you not wait on the state you play anims? it seems you transit with the Finish() directly, maybe that's the problem.

Mecanim is for sure an amazing system, and you will likely find something a lot more powerful and predictable than doing it yourself.

bye,

Jean

rickg

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: translation help
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 02:27:51 AM »
I actually did end up redoing everything in mecanim and just wrote my own controller. It's working pretty darn nicely.
I do hate that mecanim changes are not stored in the scene. I need to take a closer look at what it's doing, but you can't version it by default. Any changes ate reflected in all previous scene versions. Even if I had my project in SVN or Perforce, I'd still want to be able to compare multiple versions on disk.

Anyway, more on it some other time. I hope they add more logical operations to it. It could be great.