playMaker

Author Topic: Player moving with platform  (Read 4626 times)

FritsLyn

Player moving with platform
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »
Setup is any FPS or TPS, 3D. You can use Unity standard controllers, or Ultimate First Person Controller etc. Rigid bodies, character controllers, parents and triggers.. it does not matter, the problem is the same:

You jump onto a platform, into an elevator, onto a train etc. It is moving - let's say by iTween and Playmaker.

Now, all we want, is the character to stay on, and follow with this platform, elevator, train or similar. Without funny jerky movement, without falling through floors and walls.

I am aware of this being marked as solved:
http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=2327.0
but the guy must not want his character to be able to.. say walk and jump around in the train.

I am also aware that apparently everyone using Unity with scripting to move objects have this problem. There are several methods and hacks out there. But apparently none that let's you jump and move freely on a platform that is moving in any direction. (None other than using Unity's animation - but then what good is Playmaker + iTween?)

So you can not jump onto a something like for instance a moving lift, or a cable car of some sort. It is not possible using iTween + playmaker.

Am I right?

It would be a nice thing for Playmaker to provide a solution to this.

Thanks!

PS: It IS possible using Unity's animation, if you set it to "Animate physics".
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:08:29 PM by FritsLyn »

parallel

Re: Player moving with platform
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 08:34:47 PM »
Have you tried temporarily parenting the player to the platform?

FritsLyn

Re: Player moving with platform
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 04:19:05 AM »
Yes, thanks ("Rigid bodies, character controllers, parents and triggers..").

That was the first thing I did - but parenting has some serious side effects when moving independently, using bobs to ensure smooth motion etc.

If I was putting a vase on a conveyor belt, parenting would work. But jumping on to a Playmaker+iTween moved platform and moving around on it is something else.