playMaker

Author Topic: Contextual description for Actions.  (Read 7284 times)

Red

Contextual description for Actions.
« on: May 05, 2013, 03:25:56 PM »
So, i know this is a tall order and i'm sure it'd go much more smoothly with the assistance of the community...

but, there is something that i think would really help with the wiki...

and that's if on the actions (whose uses aren't readily clear on their own) there is a contextual description of how you'd use a particular action.

So, for example, with the one i'm looking at now is the "Get Animator Apply Root Motion" action. I get what it's trying to tell me, but i'm not totally sure what it means. I know that there are those of us here that have programming background or a more intimate knowledge of these actions and what they do, but just looking at it, it isn't apparently clear what that one does.

So, to help rectify this (and i'm willing to help out with this) would be to add in a little section underneath it so that a brief context of where this action would be used could come into play. I know i tried to do that with the videos, but i only know maybe 25% of the actions well enough to outline when they'd be used and also there are a whole heck-of-a-lot of em.

Good idea? Bad idea? Needs more vespene gas?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Contextual description for Actions.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 01:34:15 AM »
Hi,

Good idea, I think that actually, for each and every action, there should be a working sample, totally trimmed down to the bear minimum to see of to implement it as well as a description.

bye,

Jean

Red

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 12:18:02 PM »
Well, if it can be treated like a Wikipedia kinda system, if it's possible for users to be able to contribute a bit more easily (still no idea if i can contribute yet) and have a sort of discussion on a related "talk page" to determine whether user-generated content needs more work, adjustment, kept professional and without bias (the way Wikipedia tries to keep it) I think that could really help things.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
VEry good idea,

the php doc is the first stop for me when I need to find out some patterns and usage, so for sure I think it would be good that within the Unity editor, you could comment somehow on a given custom action as well as browse these comments very easily from the action browser or something.

that said, indeed some careful monitoring and moderation will be mandatory, cause within the same php doc, sometime, you wonder if the info is something you can rely on, here it would be required that comments are always testified, verified and maintained, else it will be junk before it's even used properly.

bye,

Jean