playMaker

Author Topic: Before I grab this a few questions  (Read 2544 times)

x0adam0x

• Playmaker Newbie
Before I grab this a few questions
« on: May 10, 2013, 11:35:15 PM »
Basically I'm new to Unity & programming in general.
I saw playmaker on the 2DTK forums and was intrigued by the idea of making a game with as least amount of code as possible.

I'm not very good at math and struggle a bit with learning new things, once I've learned w/e though I can be very creative and think outside the box.

Anywho I've been wanting to make a top down 2D RPG for the longest time, I have some awesome ideas that no one else has come up with and I'm very determined to get them out one way or another.

I'm basically wondering if something similar to this can be made with Playmaker
*The big question ^*

Of course I know it is a lot of work but if Playmaker can help me in any way to make things easier I'm more than willing to purchase it.

I get that you could probably make anything with the combination of scripting and playmaker anyways but if it does a lot of heavy lifting I'd be in heaven.

Basically I want to know if it can help in these main mechanics.

-Multiplayer (N#1, I'll probably end up using Photon but it'd be awesome if playmaker simplifies this a bit more. I'm not making an mmo, just a normal player hosted game)

-AI for enemies (This one is obvious)

-Inventory & menus (I'm not sure how to approach creating an inventory, I kind of get the logic behind it but not sure how to apply it into script)

-2DTK support, I believe I read that it already works well with 2DTK but confirmation would be wonderful

Again I'm very new to Unity but am very serious, I've subscribed to Digital-Tutors and have bought TDTK as well. I'm hoping to add Playmaker to the list as well.

I've waited too long to get into game development and want to make up for lost time.

Would Playmaker also help ease me into the world of game development?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Before I grab this a few questions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 05:32:42 AM »
Hi,

PlayMaker will empower you with a great event based system to begin with, wether or not you want to go down learning how to script as well. So in ALL cases, PlayMaker is a tool that I recommand, I am using it even if I could do everything without... it's just easier and clearer, that's all there is to it.

NOW, the big issue you might understand soon, is that PlayMaker is not a substitue to Unity documentation... you must read Unity documentation very seriously as well, PlayMaker only use the existing tools that Unity is offering, so to make the most out of PlayMaker you also need to learn Unity on its own.

Good luck with your games and ideas!

bye,

Jean