playMaker

Author Topic: Branching Dialogue  (Read 3595 times)

IsolatedPurity

• Playmaker Newbie
Branching Dialogue
« on: August 17, 2013, 09:16:27 PM »
Hello! I just bought Playermaker and I am trying to figure out a way to create a branching dialogue system with NPCs. I am totally inexperienced with programming so any help would be appreciated. I would like the functionality to work similar in a way of Dragon Age.

escpodgames

• Assets
Re: Branching Dialogue
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 10:19:10 PM »
Hi,

My suggestion is to take a look at the basics of what Playmaker can do before trying to take on something a little more advanced. Playmaker is great for branching dialog and not overly complex but without the basic knowledge it would be very hard.
I built a dialog system for one of my games (unreleased) which would take dialog from txt files and put them into an array for different character moods and randomly select from those responses, remove them from the array so characters wouldn't say the same thing over and over etc. I also had mood points per character and each piece of dialog would change the mood of characters ... this was just the tip of what I have planned.
Check out the basics first!

IsolatedPurity

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 11:31:55 PM »
I have followed the tutorials and what not not but I am just not to sure where to go from here, your system sounds very similiar to how I want mine though.

escpodgames

• Assets
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 01:22:29 AM »
Check out array maker and if you can understand it ... you should be able to build what I said above (with some pointers)

IsolatedPurity

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 03:07:32 PM »
Where is that video at? I looked for it on the website/youtube but didn't see it.

escpodgames

• Assets
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 06:00:47 PM »
There are no videos