playMaker

Author Topic: Different behaviour after updating from 1.7.0 to 1.7.5  (Read 2338 times)

jess84

Different behaviour after updating from 1.7.0 to 1.7.5
« on: November 10, 2013, 08:58:18 PM »
So things that I had got working previously, using 1.7.0 now seem to react differently since I've updated to 1.7.5!  >:(

Things like;

My click move to; I end the event via a Finished Event 'destination reached'. This worked perfectly.  However since updating it doesn't reach this point and send the  'reached destination' event. The FSM sits there thinking it hasn't finished.  I looked at my global vector3, and the position of my character - and they match. My finish distance was set to 0 - and worked previously!! But now I have to change that to a higher value in order for the FSM to finish.

On clicking on non-valid spaces, I came up with a solution so when I clicked on a collectable object, the object was collected and the character did not move (as aposed to walking through the object to the valid floor space behind it).  This worked. NOW, the character collects the object AND walks through it to somewhere they shouldn't go.

Was this not a safe version to update to?!

I'm going to roll-back to my backup now, and hope that I can continue using 1.7.0. I really didn't expect basic functionality to just break - making the hours spend getting things working properly in the past is potentially wasted.

Not happy. >:(

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:19:51 PM by jess84 »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Different behaviour after updating from 1.7.3 to 1.7.5
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 12:36:14 AM »
Hi,

Can you send me a repro ( or file a bug report with a repro),

Are you sure you haven't overwritten actions? like you modified a playmaker action and when you installed the new version it got overriden?

Bye,

Jean

jess84

Re: Different behaviour after updating from 1.7.3 to 1.7.5
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:52:05 AM »
Firstly, I have no idea how to modify PlayMaker actions, so that's definitely not it. I've not encountered this problem last time I updated.

Here's a example of something that used to work, but now doesn't:  (see image)

Basically I get the coordinates when clicked, store them as a global variable, then use Move To to move the player to these co-ordinates.  This now doesn't work unless I change the value of Finish Distance to greater then zero. (0.1 for instance)

This screenshot was taken after the player character had finished moving to it's destination, yet it was stuck on this state.

I dread to think of what else is now broken that used to work. (these two examples are things found within 10 seconds of testing!) I guess I'll rollback and have to stuck to an old version of Playmaker.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
Re: Different behaviour after updating from 1.7.0 to 1.7.5
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 01:40:29 AM »
Hi,

I diffed both version of this action and there is no difference at all, so I suspect the problem is not in the PlayMaker version.

To double check this properly, can you make a copy of your old project, the one that works with an old version of playmaker. What happens when you update playmaker only? does that fail to work then?

If that indeed shows a different in behavior, then can you file a bug report and share this project? cause updates ( especially between such a small increment, fair enough if you where on 1.3 or something, but 1.7 to 1.7.5 is fine) should not change anything in your logic and behavior.

bye,

Jean

jess84

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »
My original post was wrong, I was on 1.7.0 not 1.7.3, apologies for that.

Your suggestion for double checking was exactly what I did originally when the problem occurred. I only updated Playmaker, and that introduced the problem. Nothing else was changed at all.

I've now gone through my project after updating and painstakingly fixed all of the instances where the logic ceased to work. It took a few hours to test everything.

I will definitely be remaining on this current version of Playmaker - no way will I risk updating when future releases are made.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 12:36:00 AM »
Hi,

This is not really the way to go. Instead, you should find the source of the problem. I am willing to help here, cause it's definitly a problem we are not aware of. pm me or file a bug report and share this project ( the one that works originally) ( Have you done that already? I can't see any entry on this in the bug list?)

As a rule of thumb, you should never have a delay in assets updates, just like with Unity updates, always make a backup, then update on a copy of your project, and then you can spot any issues without risks, else you will corner yourself and your project will become very difficult to move forward with all the frustration that goes with it ( It happens to all of us... :) for example the latest update for ngui is a real issue for some projects... )

Bye,

Jean