playMaker

Author Topic: Mouse Pick with Oculus Rift  (Read 3514 times)

mpaul0055

• Playmaker Newbie
Mouse Pick with Oculus Rift
« on: September 16, 2013, 01:27:25 PM »
Hi Guys

Im just finishing off some of the back end to my game, and one things that's been playing up with the oculus is the mouse pick function.

I have chosen to lock the cursor and use that for the line of sight reference, which all works fine apart from the alignment of the locked cursor. The cursor gets locked in the middle of the screen in between each eye render. OxO (See Pic)

This causes all sorts of problems when im trying to open a door when looking at it, as the locked cursor is on the edge of each screen.

I ideally need the screen lock to be in the center of either the left or the right eye, but cant find a way to do it with my limited knowledge.

Can anyone help at all?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Mouse Pick with Oculus Rift
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 02:44:13 AM »
Hi,

You need to raycast from the camera z axis, that's how you will achieve true center checks. Have you tried that? I would never rely on mouse input or cursor in a Oculus environment.

bye,

Jean

mpaul0055

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »
Excellent , Cheers Jean.

Time to go changing all my FSMs... . DOH!! ha

mpaul0055

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 07:25:45 AM »
Hi,

You need to raycast from the camera z axis, that's how you will achieve true center checks. Have you tried that? I would never rely on mouse input or cursor in a Oculus environment.

bye,

Jean

Hi Jean

Are you developing for the Rift too?  Ive not used raycasting yet so are there any good recent tutorials. I have found a few older ones but no upto date ones.

Cheers

Mark

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 02:41:48 AM »
Hi,

Not yet, I am waiting for their hd version.

bye,

Jean