playMaker

Author Topic: General Question for Structuring a Game with FSM(s) [solved]  (Read 1848 times)

Onkelpoe

• Junior Playmaker
General Question for Structuring a Game with FSM(s) [solved]
« on: October 18, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »
I want to setup an 3D RTS Cam with a complex functionality…as final product ;)

First I try to implement the needed functions one by one… I wonder, what would be the „better“ way (if there is one):

Should I build everything in separate FSMs like one FSM for move, one for zoom, one for pan and so on… or is just one FSM enough to put all the needed actions in?

Should I use a CharacterControler for the Camera to avoid “seeing thru geometry” and to have an easier time manipulating it?

Would be great if I get an answer soon…

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:57:52 PM by Onkelpoe »

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: General Question for Structuring a Game with FSM(s)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:57:50 AM »
Separate things as much as is deemed necessary. Sometimes you can get a lot into a single FSM but it can only process one state at a time and ideally you want those states to be unique and distinguishable as doing a specific task, like rotating. So, if you want to rotate and move at the same time it would be best to make a separate FSM for rotating and for moving. Otherwise, you could have it all in one FSM but it could get difficult to effectively control transitions and would likely not feel smooth on the gameplay end.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Onkelpoe

• Junior Playmaker
Re: General Question for Structuring a Game with FSM(s)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 02:10:05 PM »
Thank you Lane!