playMaker

Author Topic: Camera and Character control  (Read 2358 times)

Phillament

• Playmaker Newbie
Camera and Character control
« on: November 25, 2013, 08:34:51 AM »
Hi guys, I'm new to this place and PlayMaker, and I'm already getting a lot out of both! I'd like to say thanks for what I've gotten already. Hopefully I'll be able to give back when I know my way around the tool!  ;)

I've got a question about how to handle my camera, and the character control for a game I'm working on. I want to make it so that the camera moves independently or follows the player. The player should be able to move however they like, as well. Right now the camera is childed the character, and thus follows the player. Player can move forward and turn as they please. The only thing is that the camera also rotates, as well. How do I keep the Camera following the player while keeping it's original 0,0,0 angle orientation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Derphouse

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Camera and Character control
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:46:55 AM »
You should make an empty gameObject as a Controller. Parent both the camera and your player to this Controller. You can then affect movement through the Controller, and rotation through the Player. This will in effect give you the "MOBA" control of the player if that's what you're looking for. :)

Phillament

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 10:07:15 AM »
Thanks! I'll try that when I get up. Here's a link to exactly what I'm looking to do:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/627202

I'm trying to emulate that basic control scheme. I hope this helps.

Derphouse

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 10:26:12 AM »
It should get you there partially. Good luck! :)