playMaker

Author Topic: Group PlayMaker Actions applied to states into Categories or Folders  (Read 14676 times)

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
Re: Group PlayMaker Actions applied to states into Categories or Folders
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »
There are quite a few new things coming in 1.2 when it comes and if you really want you can request to be a part of the beta program

Like variable types for one.. and better global variables and events!

If your buttons are mostly in the same locations etc you might be able to recycle them with just new videos on them maybe. And i like the idea of global controls for playing videos too.... maybe.... each application is unique i think.. But trying to think like that really helps. When you see yourself repeating something over and over it is a clue that you need to find a better way.. different structure or maybe a custom Action maybe. I am super lazy.. if i find myself putting 4 Actions in a row to do something i just make a custom Action that does those 4 things in one Action... but i try to make it a general Action too that isnt just custom for that circumstance.. otherwise you are customizing every action and that totally defeats the purpose of PlayMaker... So somewhere in the middle is probably good.

Q

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 05:32:04 PM »
The 1.2 update adds support for more variable types, including anything derived from Unity.Object (e.g. MovieTexture, AudioClip...). I think this will make it a lot easier to make the kind of app your talking about, where you'd really want one MoviePlayerFSM that you send events to.

Also look into Set Event Data and Get Event Info. These actions let you attach extra info to an event. Ideally you want simple FSMs communicating with each other using clearly defined events.

And, of course, don't forget about prefabs. Consider when an FSM can be made into a prefab with exposed variables in the Inspector, so instead of copy/pasting FSMs you're instantiating a prefab and tweaking its settings. Again for your app, this will be better with more variable types available...

I'm hoping to get 1.2 out this week, but PM me if you want to play with the beta before then.

joeyjr

• 1.2 Beta
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 07:11:59 PM »
Thanks for all the info! Interesting options to consider.

I would definitely be interested in checking out the 1.2 beta.  How do I get it?

I'm exited now about being able to use more Unity variable types and I'm intrigued at the thought of using PlayMaker to expose variables in the Unity inspector for use in prefabs! That will make it easier to see and remember what content is attached or associated with a game object or fsm!

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 07:48:56 PM »
Thanks for all the info! Interesting options to consider.

I would definitely be interested in checking out the 1.2 beta.  How do I get it?

I'm exited now about being able to use more Unity variable types and I'm intrigued at the thought of using PlayMaker to expose variables in the Unity inspector for use in prefabs! That will make it easier to see and remember what content is attached or associated with a game object or fsm!

We are all here to help. ;)
I guess Alex will send it to you.
We all want to see playmaker be better and better.
And with this support we got here I know it will be.
A little rethinking on design can be good sometimes. Sorry if I was rude to you...