playMaker

Author Topic: jeanfabre is getting lazy.  (Read 2526 times)

MajorIdea

jeanfabre is getting lazy.
« on: December 19, 2013, 02:26:56 PM »
GOTCHA!  ;D

Seriously though, I just wanted to express my gratitude and admiration. I'm going through a challenging phase in my life and it would be next to impossible if I had to be an accomplished programmer in order to use Unity. Playmaker has got to be one of the best software investments I ever made, and jeanfabre's work and contributions in the forum elevate this already exceptional product to new heights. There are more people who do a spectacular job around here, but his contribution DEFINITELY stands out.

So yea. For what is worth, I just wanted you to know that you make my life a little better. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

If I ever see you in person I'll be sure to buy you a drink or twenty ;)

Thank you!

dasbin

• Junior Playmaker
Re: jeanfabre is getting lazy.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 03:54:11 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly.

The foundation of everything I know about programming began with Playmaker. I can now accomplish nearly every strange task I set my mind to in Unity in general... but I still use Playmaker for almost anything even if I have to make actions from scratch. The logic is easy to follow and represent and the PM framework is a marvel of power/practicality-meets-intuitive-UI-design.
I also think the power of PM as a surprising educational tool for non-programmers cannot be overstated.
Looking back, if I knew what I would be getting when I purchased PM, I would have paid five or six times the asking price.
Cheers to both Alex and Jean.

If I have one worry/suggestion about PM's future, it would be that much-appreciated additional functionality seems to be coming in the form of much less-intuitive extensions that feel a bit out of place with the rest of PM. I'm thinking of Arrays and the 2D extensions, in particular. The extensions Jean has put so much work into are quite usable, but don't quite have the same surprisingly-easy feel to them as the rest of PM, so they do feel tacked-on when the features themselves seem to be of core importance. Native array variable types within PM, for example, would be a godsend and a time-saver.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:03:27 PM by dasbin »

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »
Jean is the dude!   8)

I usually have dumb questions, but he helps me out anyways and that's pretty groovy. I dunno how he keeps up with all the question traffic in here, it's more game design support in the Help section than it is PlayMaker Help. Might as well just rename the PlayMaker Help section to Jean's Awesome Place.  ;D
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 12:00:46 AM »
Thanks guys :)  ;D

Alex is the enabler being this, he wants you to work well with PlayMaker and so the forum and Wiki for the Addons is a place where he's investing back your money to give you as much support. I find this truly remarkable and not that easy to commit to. Documentation and support is always a difficult and sensitive beast to tackle.

and yes, you have a good point, the porfolio of many PlayMaker Members is truly outstanding! I stumbled upon FunShark one's the other day. It's odd with forums because you never know who you are really dealing with, a kid, a talented Artist?! Someone working on a AAA title on big consoles... who knows!!

Bye,

Jean