playMaker

Author Topic: Is it possible to rename a global event?  (Read 7371 times)

gregp

• Playmaker Newbie
Is it possible to rename a global event?
« on: December 31, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
Hi,
Is it possible to rename a global event? I don't see the option on the Event Browser and the normal Unity shortcut F2 doesn't work either.
Regards,
Greg
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:31:00 AM by gregp »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Is it possible to rename a global event?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 05:48:26 AM »
Hi,

This is currently disabled until a proper solution is found to solve issues with renaming globalls and corrupt fsm as a result, so hopefully next version of PlayMaker will allow this function back.

bye,

Jean

gregp

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 12:12:30 PM »
Ok, thanks!

Dev_Sebas

• 1.2 Beta
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 12:24:59 PM »
I´m very interested on this too!
Cheers
Seb

purbanics

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 10:20:03 AM »
I guess the following bug I encountered several times in the last couple of days originates from the reason why global event renaming is disabled now.

1. I copy an object that has global events,
2. on the new one I set those global events to local (uncheck them) so I can rename them.
3. after renaming I set them to global again and replace the original ones in the FSM.
When I run the project I get an 1000 loop exceeded error because one of the global events in the original objects FSM has turned into FINISH.

Well, something like this. I have encountered this automatic renaming bug several times lately.

Please fix and enable proper renaming for global events.

Thanks,
Peter

purbanics

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 04:06:46 AM »
This automatic mix up of global events is becoming pretty annoying.

I change some FSMs add some scripting, then when I run the game I get the "1000 loop exceeded error".
Luckily it shows the name of the object that became corrupted. Then I can go and change the FINISHED global event back to the original global event that should be there and all is fine again for a while.
:-(

purbanics

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 05:11:52 AM »
When I run the game the global event turns to FINISHED and causes the "1000 loop exceded" error.

But checking in the event browser the global event looks to be set correctly in the FSM.

Deleting the FINISHED and setting the global event back solves the problem ... for a while.

purbanics

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 06:56:58 AM »
Has anybody else encountered this automatic global event replacing bug?
For me Playmaker has become useless now because of this.

I don't know if my project just became corrupted for some reason or should I expect this same bug to occur on a new project once it reaches a certain size?

It certainly looks like now I can only use Playmaker for some small test projects, as after a certain complexity it becomes really hard to find these randomly replaced global events every time.

Any ideas what I should check/rebuild/etc. to solve this?

Bjakuja

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 09:10:39 AM »
Didn't have problems using global events so far but had some problems using global variables but i learned how to fight against those problems i can work normally now. First you have to beware when changing or deleting prefabs that have global events or variables on them, that can cause disruption in those events / variables. Use local variables instead of globals, it can be harder sometimes but it is safer way (use more get / set fsm action to achieve this) and for events name them properly, idk is that going to help but since i didn't have any global event switching problem so far in my case i always name events like this: "Group of event / Name of event" for example GUI / Activate, GUI / Deactivate, INVENTORY / Show Inventory, INVENTORY / Hide Inventory, STATS / Hide stats.....

This problem can mess your project pretty much sometime so backup your project always, we all hope some solution will be found fast.

Cheers!!!

purbanics

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 10:06:23 AM »
Thanks Bjakuja for explaining your problem and workaround.

I also noticed that local and global variables (named the same) will exchange each other in the events when copying, so I have unique names since.

I do hope my project is not messed up and this problem will be fixed soon.

Br,
Peter

purbanics

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 10:11:50 AM »
https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W311
"Version 1.8.0 (coming soon)"

Hope it will be with a fix for this global event problem.

Br,
Peter

purbanics

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 10:17:47 AM »
Figured it out when this bug happens. It's repeatable every time:

1. Right click a global transition,
2. Ctrl Click a state to add a FINISHED transition OR right click and add new transition: FINISHED.

The bug: Instead of adding a FINISHED transition to the state it adds a "..." transition and the global transition that was clicked before turns into a global FINISHED transition. (this then causes the "1000 loop exceeded" error if unnoticed and left unchanged)

This automatic changing is a serious source of hard to detect problems in FSMs that worked perfectly before.
Please fix!

Thanks,
Peter

purbanics

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 08:26:14 AM »
This is currently disabled until a proper solution is found to solve issues with renaming globalls and corrupt fsm as a result, so hopefully next version of PlayMaker will allow this function back.

Hi Jean,

Any news about when the next version with this fix can be expected?

Thanks,
Peter

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 08:01:15 AM »
Hi,

I am not sure. Currently, the beta doesn't address this yet. There is indeed an underlying greater issue with serialization, and this is a side effect.

Hopefully, a solution will be found.

bye,

Jean

szomaza

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 05:43:58 AM »
Hi Jean,

I am using playmaker version 1.7.7.f6 and still experiencing this serious problem and other problems, like FSM templates getting messed up.

Any news on when this will be fixed?

br,
szomaza