playMaker

Author Topic: Is something like this do-able in play maker alone?  (Read 2613 times)

x0adam0x

• Playmaker Newbie
Is something like this do-able in play maker alone?
« on: January 20, 2014, 12:50:56 PM »

Minus the random map generation, I have some unique ideas.

But the basic mechanics are a side scroller action rpg.
I don't have much scripting knowledge, just pixel art experience.

That being said I have 2DTK & Play maker, would that be enough to create a full game similar to Chasm or just more for prototyping?

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: Is something like this do-able in play maker alone?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:53:24 PM »
That being said I have 2DTK & Play maker, would that be enough to create a full game similar to Chasm or just more for prototyping?

You could make the whole thing in Playmaker.

I think what a lot of people have a hard time realizing is that just because its a visual scripting system there are a ton of low level actions you can throw down and basically get what you want out of it without having to do any scripting. There are indeed some things that scripting will always be faster at but I've got a fully working prototype and Playmaker uses less than %1 according to the Profiler so I don't feel handicapped in any way by using it exclusively.

Plus, if you already know scripting you can just make custom actions. Actions are just bunches of modular scripts anyway, so its not much different. You can just see what the hell you're doing.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

IceMaker

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Is something like this do-able in play maker alone?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »
It's going to cost them $25,000 to introduce a pixelated female character which I assume only has a handful of animations?

Truly amazing what one can achieve on their own, when not having to pay the salaries of full time employees + benefits.

Game Dev has finally gone full circle from which it came.