playMaker

Author Topic: SHMUP / Galaga Style - Where To Start?  (Read 2250 times)

garrettmickley

• Playmaker Newbie
SHMUP / Galaga Style - Where To Start?
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:20:24 AM »
I'm new with PlayMaker and I looked around at the tutorials and forums pretty much all afternoon yesterday, and I started messing around and got a little kamikaze ship to chase my player ship which was pretty cool, but for the player controller, I used a script I knew instead of PlayMaker.  I removed the script and tried to recreate it in PlayMaker and failed.

I also couldn't figure out how to get enemy ships to spawn and fly down shooting at my ship.

I'm not asking anyone to do it for me...just point me in the right direction or tell me what types of things I need to be using for both the player controller and a standard ship that just spawns randomly in a certain space, flys down, and shoots. After that I'm confident I will understand to finish the project (it's for college).

Thank you so much for your help!

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: SHMUP / Galaga Style - Where To Start?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »
Hey, welcome! =)

Have you seen the new Top Down Shooter Movement tutorial? It's an example of how to get the side to side movement and such. Generally, simple movement is super easy. Get the axis inputs, then feed that data into another action that can move/push the ship around.

For the movement, you can use the Itween actions to move things on a spline/path, they're pretty powerful. For projectiles its just a matter of spawning a prefab that moves in a forward direction when its spawn and does something on a collision. We'll have a new tutorial explaining projectiles/damage/health in the TDS series soon, like this week.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

garrettmickley

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »
Hey, welcome! =)

Have you seen the new Top Down Shooter Movement tutorial? It's an example of how to get the side to side movement and such. Generally, simple movement is super easy. Get the axis inputs, then feed that data into another action that can move/push the ship around.

For the movement, you can use the Itween actions to move things on a spline/path, they're pretty powerful. For projectiles its just a matter of spawning a prefab that moves in a forward direction when its spawn and does something on a collision. We'll have a new tutorial explaining projectiles/damage/health in the TDS series soon, like this week.

Thanks! I will check out the tutorial tonight when I get home from work.

I look forward to the future tutorials in that series.

Mrsweet

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:37:38 AM »
Hey, welcome! =)

Hi

First post here :)

I've just purchased this software and also looking forward to the above , please can you link these into the post once they have been created

Thanks from the UK

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:48:51 AM »
Welcome!

Will do =)
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D