playMaker

Author Topic: Mobile GUI: Unity default vs third party.  (Read 4674 times)

Aaddiction

Mobile GUI: Unity default vs third party.
« on: March 11, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »
Hi, I apologize if I'm a bit spammy, but here's another UI question.

In the making of a very small game I have three buttons and nothing fancy in terms of UI. So Playmaker's GUI Button action is perfect for my needs. I just call it at the state I need and the button appears and at the next state it disappears. Exactly what I need as functionality. And I don't need any effects on the button, as I already did what I want in PS.

Everything is perfect except one thing - when I test on mobile the buttons are all over the place, even if I placed them correctly with iPhone's aspect ratio and resolution in the editor. The buttons are not even close on the device compared to their alignment in the editor.

Is there a way to position default GUI buttons properly on iOS devices, without using third party plugins like NGUI? Some sort of anchoring with additional actions or GUI button settings?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Mobile GUI: Unity default vs third party.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 04:43:44 AM »
Hi,

ALL questions are welcomed :)

Indeed you have to be very careful and understand how placement happens with Unity GUI. It should work just fine in your case. Can you share a bit more about your setup? are you using a GUILayout button or a GUI Button? and what else do you have here surouding this button?

You have to be aware as well of the retina display issue, you must take that into account and provide graphics twice as big if you run on a retina display.

bye,

Jean

Aaddiction

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 12:41:32 PM »
Hi, I used GUI Button and as you correctly suggested may be  the buttons' position changed because of the retina display. In the end I went for a UI plugin with supported Playmaker actions supported and I resolved my little dilemma. It's just that if I use GUI buttons it's kind of a lottery how will it show up on different devices, especially if you develop for both iOS and Android.

nepomuk

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 03:46:20 AM »
got an additional question to the topic..
is it common to publish 2 different versions für iphone 5 and older versions/ does apple accept more than one uploads per app. or how do you generally deal with the resolution issue?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 07:53:13 AM »
Hi,

I have no personal experience of this, but if you are the same publisher, I am pretty sure you can release the same game for different platforms, as long as the app id is unique. But it's always best to only have one app, with internal switch to enabled disable what's required for that platform.

Resolution issue depends on content, for UI, if you use a third part you will have access to tools to deal with it, else, you will need to either create two different scene and content one for non retina and one for retina or go more clever and switch graphics on the fly, but that's only one part of the problem, you then have to deal with aspect ratios...

Bye,

Jean