playMaker

Author Topic: RTS Map creation tools/editors?  (Read 8107 times)

Nitrohex

• Junior Playmaker
RTS Map creation tools/editors?
« on: March 29, 2014, 08:33:43 PM »
Can anyone share their thoughts on how can these kind of terrains or maps be created in Unity without manually painting every cliff wall etc.
I have researched some map editors like Starcraft 2 Editor, but there is no way of importing these into Unity.

Any suggestions on how these maps can be done?

Thanks

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: RTS Map creation tools/editors?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:45:41 AM »
I really don't have any suggestions on how to approach that, but I doubt that Playmaker is something you would use to build the foundation of such an editor, perhaps if there were a kit of some kit to make it simpler then you could stack some operability on top of it with PM but this is kind of advanced stuff, especially the way the SC2 editor works with finding nearby cliffs, blending models together likely from a huge repository with lots of rules, choosing random cliff appearances/varieties, etc...

You might be able to find some devblog or post mortems on the topic, but indie RTS games that do that sort of thing are kind of rare. You might find some high level ideas on more generic boards like Gamedev or Gamasutra.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Nitrohex

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 12:36:49 PM »
but I doubt that Playmaker is something you would use to build the foundation of such an editor

I have no intentions to build an editor(i'm way to far in knowledge for that) :D,
my point was if there is another standalone or asset type of tool that can do maps like this, so that i can try to build a prototype RTS in playMaker.

It can be done in Unity's terrain editor but it takes a lot of time to do only a portion of the map.

I will certainly check Gamedev and Gamasutra for ideas.

Thanks for the advice.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:54:33 PM »
Ah OK I thought you were looking to make an editor.

I haven't seen any assets like that. There's not near as much for rts stuff as there is for fps stuff. Especially by way of frameworks.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

mweyna

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 01:50:44 PM »
As someone who has a day job in RTS creation, this is no small technical feat. To create all those rules is going to be a large project. Especially if you want anything other then flat terrains. You might want to instead try using some map exporter plugins to get a Starcraft map to Studio max - something like http://www.sc2mapster.com/assets/m3-export-plugin-3ds-max/ where you can then export it to a format Unity understands. At least then you'll have some temp geometry to test with.

Nitrohex

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 02:28:39 PM »
As someone who has a day job in RTS creation, this is no small technical feat. To create all those rules is going to be a large project. Especially if you want anything other then flat terrains. You might want to instead try using some map exporter plugins to get a Starcraft map to Studio max - something like http://www.sc2mapster.com/assets/m3-export-plugin-3ds-max/ where you can then export it to a format Unity understands. At least then you'll have some temp geometry to test with.

I will try to experiment with this plugin, and see what i can come up with.

My primary goal is to make a prototype small scale RTS, just to learn stuff and see how it goes.

Thanks mweyna.