playMaker

Author Topic: Action Browser slows down editor gameplay  (Read 1595 times)

Breadman

• Derp
Action Browser slows down editor gameplay
« on: May 21, 2014, 04:22:59 PM »
On random occasions, I would notice that my game was very laggy when trying it out in the editor. After trying to close different windows/tabs one at a time, I've realized the issue is only present when the PlayMaker action browser is up.

Obviously not a critical issue, I can close the window or save a new layout to use for when I need to playtest, but I suppose it's slightly inconvenient. Is this is a me-only issue, or is it a known PlayMaker problem? if anyone else has experienced this before please let me know!

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Action Browser slows down editor gameplay
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 04:51:40 PM »
There's an option in the Action Browser settings menu that should help:
Disable Window When Playing

Extra editor windows can definitely slow down the game preview. Unfortunately it's harder to profile editor code than game code, making it difficult to identify optimizations. So it helps when users tell us where things really slow down in real world projects...

Breadman

• Derp
Re: Action Browser slows down editor gameplay
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 05:35:33 PM »
Thank, you, Alex! That's the perfect solution, so glad that it's in there.

And I totally understand what you're saying about optimizing as well - if it's a choice between the two, I'd much rather PlayMaker run smoothly during actual gameplay and deal with editor minutia. It seems this particular issue has been identified previously, hence the option to disable the action browser!