playMaker

Author Topic: Game analytics (Jean)  (Read 7605 times)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Game analytics (Jean)
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 07:00:23 AM »
Hi,

"area" is a way to filter your data, it's by default the scene you are in, but on complex project, scenes may not reflect anything valuable ( like compositing several scenes to form a complex levek, and so you define your area is you want.

it could be like "Level 1", Level 2" typically.

and so once you set a custom area, ALL events logged will belong to this area.

In your dashboard, you will then be able to filter by area, and create widgets where area is part of the equation to pull data in a meaningfull way for your specific game.

only set a custom area once, don't force the value again and again, set it when the user click on "play" or "next level" typically.

Bye,

Jean

jess84

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 07:35:48 AM »
So does it reset on level load?

If I'm setting it up for each of my levels, I just need to use the action once just after loading? Then when the next scene is loaded it defaults back to the GA default of using the scene name?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 08:11:32 AM »
Hi,

I would enquire with them directly. I am not sure about the behavior of their datas and if it reverts if you load a scene and don't set a custom area then.

Bye,

Jean

jess84

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 10:33:46 AM »
I just had a reply from GA.

The Custom Area is carried over across different scenes that are loaded, so if you want to set it back to the default area (scene name), you need to set a blank entry.

The PlayMaker action should therefore probably accept an empty field - at the moment it gives an error if left blank.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 12:59:33 AM »
Hi,

Good, thanks for the headsup. I wasn't aware of the reverting option.

My guess is that as soon as you start using custom areas, it's because Unity scenes dont' relate anymore, so it's unlikely that you would revert in the middle of the game to the default behavior, but for the sake of completness I'll update that action.

Bye,

Jean

jess84

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 01:30:49 AM »
Great, thanks.

In my case, I use 1 scene per 10 levels of my game - so use custom area for reporting accurately, I also want to use the same info on my results screen, and then I revert to the default for my menus and other screens. 

I think Set Custom Area will be used quite a lot by others too.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 06:50:30 AM »
Hi,

Fair enough.

the fix currently is to create an empty string variable, let's say "empty string", and feed that into the custom area action, then the error will be gone and you will have your way to use default area.

Bye,

Jean