playMaker

Author Topic: uScript, Antares, now playMaker?  (Read 10150 times)

LarryP

• Playmaker Newbie
uScript, Antares, now playMaker?
« on: September 29, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »
The last several days, I have been using uScript, Antares, and although I would like to try playMaker, there is no option for that without purchasing.  I am impressed by the IDE of playMaker in the videos, and also the links to help within the IDE.  Also the comparison of forums, there seems to be good support here as well as the others.

I have had some trouble with uScript and Antares, just setting up a simple beep for a collider.  So far, using Notepad++ in C# is the fastest way of these two visual scripting tools.  I'm hoping that playMaker would be better?!

Please, can the users of this tool sell me so I can get on with my visual scripting work?   ;D

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: uScript, Antares, now playMaker?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 02:05:37 AM »
:) indeed if playmaker could be be trialed, it would be great :)

Playmaker as a complete series of actions that allows you to easily deal with sounds: in your particular case, if you'd watch the main video cast from the site, what wou will simply add to the door fsm is this action: https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W463 ( triggers to open close doors). ON both state ( "close" and "open"), you would simply add this "play sound" action to them state and fill the details ( essentially telling which sound to play, and that's it).

And you would be done with it!

I think playmaker is the near perfect blend between visual description of a flow (or process) and scripting, because it actually relies on scripts all the way for the actions, while giving you an easy way to build the process flow. Ideal if you ask me :) If you don't find the action you want, just build one, it's very easy if you have some basic knowledge of c#, else ask the community, you'll sure get help.

There is no turning back as far as I m concerned and I don't see myself starting any projects without playmaker. To be fair I am not seeing in Antares and uScript what I want: I don't want to replace scripting, I want to better describe complex flows and processes, that's the big difference. Therefore, I am not saying that playmaker is a total replacement and that everything should be done with playmaker and you'll never have to script anything again. I do an will keep script some absolute critical functionalities with normal scripts ( think Inverse Kinematics stuff, complex and performance critical operations, that last 10% of your project basically).

Bye,

Jean

LarryP

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:03:44 AM »
Good reply, thank you.  I didn't know you can build your own actions.  That's a nice option.

The other issue on my mind is how it seems that the add on tools for Unity seem to use $100 bills profusely.  $100, $150, $200, they are expensive.  Then there are the free ones too, like itween and Universe  which are nice, but I don't expect free.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:14:33 AM by LarryP »

sP0CkEr

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 12:34:28 PM »
I don't think paying $100 is unreasonable if you are "serious" about developing your game. If you don't like the price. Start learning c# or JavaScript.

LarryP

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
I know the scripting languages well enough, js, c#, and Python.  I just wanted a simpler and faster way of doing scripts if I could.  I came from C++, C#,  qt, and Python when I tried Unity.   I like the ease of doing 3d in it.  I'm used to paying for utilities like CodeSmart and Visual Assist X, but as I go through the programs in the Asset store, I see a lot of $100 and $150 prices which seems kind of high for what some of them are.

LarryP

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 09:18:17 AM »
Well I bought it last night.  Now off to check it out...