playMaker

Author Topic: Inert and empty FSMs to store data  (Read 1278 times)

troubleMaker

• Playmaker Newbie
Inert and empty FSMs to store data
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently making a project with a few very complex manager FSMs(and their sub-FSMs). The purpose is to create procedural levels that are generated dynamically during run- time.

When the manager FSMs create and manipulate other objects they need to know what kind of properties that particular object has however, so i need to somehow store data on these objects for the manager to read. Currently i'm using Arraymaker arrays, but also FSMs that are completely empty except for a few stored variables(which i then get by using Get FSM Variable in the manager) on the objects. The reason i sometimes use empty FSMs over arrays, is that i can store lots of different types of variables in them, where as with arrays it's one type per array.

Is this a good idea? What if there is basically only one variable for an object i want to store. Does it make sense to create an array or FSM for only that, or is there a better way to store data for lots of different objects? If not, which causes less overhead, an empty FSM or array?

It's a mobile platform project so performance is key.

Thanks in advance for any advice!