playMaker

Author Topic: Send event to Oculus Rift to Disable Tracking (orientation)  (Read 4701 times)

Playnoob

• Playmaker Newbie
Send event to Oculus Rift to Disable Tracking (orientation)
« on: August 03, 2014, 05:05:53 AM »
Hi,
 I'd like some help in doing this...
I want to send an event to the Oculus Rift OVRCameraController to "disable" the orientation tracker at an exact time (say 00:05 i.e 0 mins and 5 seconds after a game starts) then at 00:06 i.e six seconds after the game has started I'd like to send an event to enable it again.

The Oculus rift OVRCameraController exposes a switch to enable orientation
See the attached image.

The idea is that the game starts and the player is free to look around the scene (using the Oculus headtracking).
But at 6 seconds I want to force them to look at something in front of them.
So by disabling the tracker at 5 seconds, and then rotating/transforming the OVRcamera at the point of interest, I could make sure the scene is presented to them when this "cut" happens.

At 6seconds, Playmaker would send a message to enable the orientation again..

I'm not too familiar with exactly how to write the message to send to the OculusTracker. This orientation switch is not exposed to playmaker, however when I tried the usequencer plugin I saw it as a variable there.

From the Oculus rift docs I see that the syntax possibly is: OVRDevice.ResetOrientation(0)

This thread on OculusRift Unity forum has clues, but I'm a noob.
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1162&p=12587&hilit=orientation#p12587

Thanks in advance.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: Send event to Oculus Rift to Disable Tracking (orientation)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 08:08:24 AM »
Use Set Property.

I would suggest not doing this during gameplay though, it is inadvisable to intervene with the players' head tracking since it induces discomfort.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Playnoob

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 06:35:20 AM »
Thanks.
I've read the warnings about disorienting a Rift wearer if this is done during a game. However, the project I'm working on is a motion comic. And the "director" needs to frame the shot first.

Wearers are then free to look around while the scene plays.
Since it's a motion comic it's not got the speed/flow of a typical fps game or movie.

have a look:
if it's interesting... support the project! http://igg.me/at/maya360
I'm using Playmaker for the interaction in the motion comic.
A demo scene is downloadable for Rift on the "updates tab" of that page.

BTW, I sorted the issue by using a separate "camera" NOT parented to the OVRCameracontroller.
This "director's viewfinder" camera is set to look/frame the scene, and OVRCameraController is set to follow it's orientation...
then, just before the new scene comes in, I enable the director camera, reset the OvrCameraController via "OVRDevice.ResetOrientation(0)" and then cut to the new scene.

This has the effect of the Ovrcontroller putting the new scene in front of the wearer's field of view.

I then disable the Directorview finder for the remainder of the scene... so the rift wearer is free to look around, until it's time for a new scene.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 12:02:23 PM »
Cool, let us know how you get along with this one. I'm interested in the results and any actions you might author along the way would be cool to check out =)
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D