playMaker

Author Topic: Wall-slides/jumps... What would you choose?  (Read 1491 times)

Red

Wall-slides/jumps... What would you choose?
« on: August 24, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
Hi again!

I'm now working on getting a wall-slide/jumping mechanic set up and I'm a little torn on what method would be the most ideal...

One method could be with making each wall that the player is meant to be able to slide down or jump off of having a trigger on it that tells the character systems that it's a slide-able/jump-able wall and use that trigger system to switch to the "wall slide" mode (which can be jumped out of or simply dropped out of after pressing the opposite direction.) The pros of this method would be that I suspect it'd be simpler in execution but the cons would be that each wall that the player is able to interact with will have to have a collider/trigger on it to tell the systems when to switch in and when to switch out.

Another method would be with some raycasts (only going out maybe a few pixels) that would be the firing mechanism to transfer to the wall sliding system... The pros of this system would be that it would be self-contained on the player object itself and would allow any wall to be slide-able (for the most part) but the cons would be it'd probably be a bit of a beast to set up and debugging might be a real pain in the rump... Not to mention that it'd be using raycasts (about two or three on each side of the player) so it may be a bit expensive.

I'm not sure which would be the most ideal so I'm wondering if you've had any experience with it what you would suggest?

Also, if what you'd do isn't listed here, how would you do it?

If it helps, it's not intended for mobile so I'm not too terribly concerned with CPU costs here.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 04:08:57 PM by Red »