playMaker

Author Topic: Unix time  (Read 2785 times)

mweyna

Unix time
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:30:19 PM »
Is there a way to get the true Unix time of a device, without requiring a server or other device? GetSystemTime seems prone to being easily cracked.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Unix time
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:01:44 AM »
Hi,

If you are concerned about crack, then even asking time on a server is not secured unless you go for a ssl certificate to communicate only via https, else device time is more secured imo.

I am not aware of any "secure" way to get time on a device or computer than asking for it via the c#. Where did you read that the time can be hacked on a device? I would be interested to read on that.

Bye,

Jean

escpodgames

• Assets
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 01:07:09 AM »
On a device you can just change the time in the settings, take a look at candy crush for example :P Need more hearts!? put your clock forward.

mweyna

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:11:23 AM »
The mobile engineers down the hall from my office. I occasionally pick their brains on how "proper" programmers do things versus my playmaker hackery. They have this asset on the Asset Store - (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18984), just trying to figure out if it's possible to mimic that function within Playmaker.

mweyna

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 04:14:09 AM »
My current timer FSM gets device time at action start, saves it to appropriate INTs within EasySave secured data files, then checks against Current Time broken down into INTs again. This way in theory you can close the app and come back four hours later and the FSM would know four hours has passed. However, that does not prevent you from setting your mobile system time to another time zone four hours ahead, so that you basically are "four hours later" upon logging in. Thus the need to find a way to get around using purely system time.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 09:00:31 AM »
Hi,

Could you ask them to create a custom action for you? else get me in touch with them, and I'll cover their system with a custom action, I am sure it's straight forward, and I indeed think that it could be a good thing for PlayMaker users.

Bye,

Jean

mweyna

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 01:53:11 PM »
Email sent to the original author, we'll see if anything happens.