playMaker

Author Topic: 2.5D Platformer newbie questions...  (Read 4085 times)

BioFan

• Playmaker Newbie
2.5D Platformer newbie questions...
« on: October 17, 2014, 05:49:36 AM »
Hi All,

I guess this is also an introduction. I got playmaker for a while now but am only starting to use this.

I'm an artist who wants to make own game but I lack in my programming skill.
I bought a 2.5D platformer kit at the unity store and was thinking to combine it with playmaker.

Now I got an issue, the kit doesn't do "Ledge Hang/Climb", "Ladder Climb" and "Rope Swing", which is quite crucial for my gameplay.
I was trying to do those actions using playmaker, but I run into a problem. When I enter the "ladder" trigger, how do I turn my movement off when the user starts climbing. I was following a tutorial and couldnt figure out how to make the movements as FSM. The kit has a very nice physics and all but will it be easier in the long run if I do everything in Playmaker?Is there a way to over ride the movement input in C# to Playmaker FSM?

I will update my game progress in this forum at a future time. :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 05:55:39 AM by BioFan »

cloud03

• Viva Playmaker!
    • Milkish Game Studios Blog
Re: 2.5D Platformer newbie questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:02:19 AM »
I've created a pretty extensive tutorial covering this, please check this thread out:
http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=5671.0

As in this moment, it covers Ledge climbing, but soon I will release another episode dealing with rope swinging and ladder climbing...

BioFan

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 08:33:49 AM »
I was actually following your tutorial then I came to this part where I have to turn my movement off and I realised that it wasn't set using Playmaker. Know what I need to do?

cloud03

• Viva Playmaker!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 11:09:10 AM »
Can you explain a bit more with the effect you are trying to achieve? Because my tutorials are mostly (95%) playmaker, the only script I'm using is the script that translate the root motion onto parent transformations, and that is for ledge climbing..

BioFan

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 10:41:22 PM »
My character controller is not using Playmaker. So when the script calls to de-activate the movement, it couldn't find it.
So I'm thinking if I can make Playmaker to override the input control, without messing up everything else, then it should work, right?

Btw, I'm Indonesian too, but my indo writing skill is terrible. :) Anyway, it's nice talking to you.

cloud03

• Viva Playmaker!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 11:24:21 PM »
Yes you can disable a script through playmaker, just drag the script onto a state, and then choose "Set Property", choose enable under property, and then uncheck the checkbox with "enabled" caption, to re-enable the script use the same action but check the "enabled" checkbox.

Ah cool to meet a fellow Indonesian, are you living abroad?

BioFan

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 12:21:24 AM »
Let me give it a try. I have limited programming skill  :'(

I was since young but got back a couple years ago.  ;)

btw, nice tutorial, can't wait for your rope swing and ladder climb. Btw can you make the ladder like megaman? only climb when you press up, and don't do anything if you just keep going. :)

I will showcase my game when I am in a state I can show something. :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:25:38 AM by BioFan »

cloud03

• Viva Playmaker!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 01:26:51 AM »
Thanks a lot for the kind words.

About the ladder, yup it's gonna be like that, I already have a working system for the ladder, but still need to polish things up...

Sure, excited to see how it would turn out, are you living in Jakarta if you don't mind me asking?

BioFan

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 02:20:00 AM »
Oh cool, can't wait for that.

Yup, I'm in Jakarta :) you too?