playMaker

Author Topic: Help! Matching the right object with the correct trigger.  (Read 1949 times)

coffeeANDsoda

Help! Matching the right object with the correct trigger.
« on: November 13, 2014, 12:55:34 AM »
Expanding upon a small game I am putting together, I'd like to achieve the following.

This screenshot shows 3 puzzle based objects with triggers attached, it's like they are function as keyholes. I'd like to set up a system or manager to unlock a door by having the player insert the right object into the right puzzle piece so to speak. How could I get this working?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:47:12 PM by coffeeANDsoda »

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
Re: Help! Matching the right object with the correct trigger.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 06:31:34 PM »
Several ways you could do this- could have global variable bool's for each key/lock- have the trigger check to see if the bool for that object is "true" and unlock it if so-
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 03:47:15 PM »
have the trigger check to see if the bool for that object is "true" and unlock it if so-

If that's the second choice, wouldn't I need to set up some system to have all three triggers be identified by the locked door? Like what you mentioned that would mean you'd have to set up the trigger with a standard checking system that would include Get FSM Bool, Bool Test, Set Bool Value, etc, right?

What would be the other methods? Because I'm curious about what alternatives I have for this type of puzzle.

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 06:11:53 PM »
Still stuck on this puzzle.