playMaker

Author Topic: [solved] Simplest or best way to create Block Break effect like MineCraft?  (Read 4149 times)

createasaurus

In my game I'd like to break blocks and have them appear to shatter into a bunch of pieces.  The effect I'm after is like Breaking Blocks in MineCraft, see attached photo.

I'm wondering what the simplest or best way to approach this is.  Should I use particles, or should I spawn a bunch of game objects?  I do not want to learn a new complicated plug in or system at this point.  Is there a basic way to approach this?  I've never used particles before and I'm not sure how to best spawn a bunch of game objects in a random fashion... so any tips on either approach is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris (createasaurus)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:32:19 AM by createasaurus »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Simplest or best way to create Block Break effect like MineCraft?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 08:18:38 AM »
on picture 1 change textures i think and for the shatter effect use particle system

createasaurus

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 10:04:22 AM »
Thanks djaydino,

For picture 1, I will change textures.

For the shatter effect, I'm still having trouble deciding the best way to do this.  Right now I'm experimenting with spawning 10 cubes with rigid bodies and letting them fly... but is this silly and wasteful of resources to do?  I guess I'm discovering ways to do this... but I'm looking for thoughts on the best way... simplest to implement, looks nicest, not terribly expensive processor wise.  Has anyone done something similar with advice on the best balanced approach?

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 10:13:17 AM »
It looks like they change the texture per damage state, then when it explodes they create a particle system with small, square dirt texture sprite billboards.

Rigidbodies are definitely way overkill for something like this.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

createasaurus

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 10:31:34 AM »
Perfect.  Thank you Lane.

I'll start on the particle path.  :)