playMaker

Author Topic: Setting a string variable to control Unity 4.6 UI Text (working score counter)  (Read 5126 times)

PaulG

• Playmaker Newbie
I've been struggling with this. I've watched the four latest videos. I don't have any problem with the accent, I just don't understand what's going on. It doesn't seem relevant. Had a little conversation using the youtube comments, and was referred to continue the conversation here.

I've also seen this thread, but for a relative newbie, I don't understand exactly what's being referenced. I feel like there's some shorthand being spoken and I'm missing out on something obvious.

http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=8318.msg39933#msg39933

Is there anyone who could explain this like they're talking to an idiot? I'm specifically talking about what the title implies. Using Playmaker and Unity 4.6 to have Unity UI text controlled by a string variable. My problem in this process is getting Unity UI text to be controlled by the string variable. It obviously wants to be controlled by other UI elements.

Appreciate all help. Thanks!

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Give this a whirl

It explains how to use Set Property to change a variable on something. In the video's case, its changing something on the light but you can apply the exact same process to change a UI Text component. Simply follow the video up to about the 3:00 mark for in-scene changes, beyond that is Prefab stuff and Get Component explanations.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

PaulG

• Playmaker Newbie
Finally got it. Thanks!

As usual, it's just over-complicating things that gets in the way. I could have sworn I did multiple variations on this, but once you get a block on something, the mind tends to jump towards some really complicated solutions (which obviously never work).

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
No problem! Feel free to ask questions.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D