playMaker

Author Topic: smooth look at direction  (Read 3362 times)

IIKII

• Lonely developer
    • Patreon
smooth look at direction
« on: January 01, 2015, 08:44:15 AM »
Hi,

I am following the basic tutorial of making a third person game. I wanted the character to look at the 'front' direction whenever he is moving. But after i added in the smooth look at action, it just rotates like crazy.

What am i missing?
Support me on Patreon for free adventure games and development insights - https://www.patreon.com/koexstudio

SuperLuigiBros

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: smooth look at direction
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 04:46:55 PM »
Hey. I'm new to all this too but I managed to get this working. Your topic says 'Smooth Look At Direction' but then you refer to it as 'Smooth Look At' - are you sure you're using the 'Smooth Look at Direction'?

Beyond that I can only make a few vague suggestions to cover all bases.

-Make sure you've created a variable that's set to vector3

-(I'll assume you're following the same or similar third person character tutorial as I did, there aren't that many) In my character, I have three Actions in my main state that make him move. Controller Simple Move, Smooth Look At Direction and Get Axis Vector.

As I understand it, you create your vector3 variable, use the Get Axis Vector to store information in that variable, then use that variable in the Controller Simple Move action and the Smooth Look At Direction action. Make sure you check that each of those three main actions are referencing your vector3 variable. Again, this will only help if you're using the same functionality as I am. I hope that's the case!

-I find that sometimes I fiddle with stuff to try out new things and in doing so I break some older stuff. If you can't get it to work maybe try making a new, fresh scene and starting again while following the tutorial to the T. Sometimes you don't realise you've done something wrong until you try it again.

Just in case, this is the one I used:
Hope you get it!