playMaker

Author Topic: Reflections on completing 1st game  (Read 1407 times)

10high

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Cult Manager - Google Play
Reflections on completing 1st game
« on: August 04, 2020, 06:43:12 AM »
I recently completed and released my first game (mobile), and it was a good (and therapeutic) opportunity to reflect on the whole process.

We started with absolutely no experience and no technical skills, hence the title of the article Two Friends - One Game - Zero Experience.
https://medium.com/@cultmanager/two-friends-one-game-zero-experience-a19af4f858c

This was obviously only possible with Playmaker, hence I say lots of nice things about it.  ;D

It also aims to offer (hopefully useful) insights to other wannabe game-makers starting out.

(The article obviously mentions the game, and one aspect of the article's creation was obviously promotional, but I hope it's clear from reading the article, that it is also well intentioned and genuine.)

Thanks.
Cult Manager

Thore

Re: Reflections on completing 1st game
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 10:08:12 AM »
Thanks, such a wholesome article! How about you approach marketing your game as if you were building a cult (following). :D

I can share my professionally hard-worn wisdom that GDDs (game design documents) are a very sharp sword, with two edges. The edge facing towards you might be even sharper than the other one. You want to coordinate with others and get on the same page. And writing something down can be a great help to sharpen your vision. Game Design also often involves making calculations and writing texts. These are also called GDDs, but they approach game assets (as what you're writing will end up in the game).

However, GDDs have a sort of uncanny valley. They can be good to get a general gist or direction. But that's best left vague enough to be conveyed by talking about it. And they are good for some detail work (i.e. an excel table with actual calculations).

Overall though, I would strongly advice against them. In a company, they signal an unhealthy managerial style, can prevent you finding out what's fun, and are also often times very misleading as two people can interpret the same document in three different ways, especially the bigger it gets. It's a good idea however, to document the obscure elements of your workflow and game somewhere.

As you point out yourself, iterate, iterate, iterate. You'll want to have a general direction and goal, but then take it one step at a time.

Good luck! :)

10high

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Cult Manager - Google Play
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:31:27 PM »
Ha, thanks! That's very nice to hear.

Yeah, reading your notes about GDDs, I should have probably made it clearer or reiterated that my "advice" is from a very personal perspective and not "professional" advice.

I think the reason I focused on it so much is that because having such a detailed layout was great for "us two" during those occasional dark times when it's hard to keep motivated. And also from reading other people's comments over the years about projects foundering because of losing direction or disputes about direction. This was very much aimed at the amateur solo/duo developers.

I appreciate the feedback. :)
Cult Manager

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 09:16:50 AM »
The GDD is best seen as a backbone to fall back to when there is a doubt, but in many cases it shall remain flexible.
It's also a good thing to update it.
Some companies have moved away from old school documents and prefer to use offline (internal) wikis and similar ethernet systems.