playMaker

Author Topic: 2.5D Arcade Platformer  (Read 26533 times)

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
2.5D Arcade Platformer
« on: January 17, 2015, 06:56:34 AM »
Hey there,

Been working on another little prototype, this time a small arcade platformer. The goal is to make a simple high score game with gameplay that is something like a single-screen Donkey Kong Country.

Here's a video of the current build:

Still early days, but got the basics in there for now. The one-way platforms were a bit of an adventure to do, but I'm happy with how they work.

I've got a rough idea of what sorts of other enemies I want to have, but I'm going to spend a bit more time fleshing them out so that they each feel distinct. I want there to be a little bit of strategy involved in defeating the enemies, instead of just jumping on their heads blindly.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:08:25 AM by marcos »

coffeeANDsoda

Re: 2.5D Arena Platformer
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »
I keep thinking of small arms or a super smash bros game when I watch this video.

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 06:55:25 PM »
Super Smash Bros. is the main influence behind the sort of level I want to make.

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 08:59:06 PM »
I see. This was the second thought I had after I watched your video.

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
Re: 2.5D Arcade Platformer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 12:09:21 AM »
Oh cool! I hadn't seen this before :)

Here's a webplayer of the current build:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82743416/Avoision/Avoision.html

Let me know what you all think :)

WASD/cursor Keys to move, space to jump, left shift to restart.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:01:50 AM by marcos »

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 12:44:40 AM »
Oh cool! I hadn't seen this before :)

Here's a webplayer of the current build:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Avoision/Avoision.html?_subject_uid=82743416&w=AADXIpEgovelnqJ3a1qFYruOD8OCPGSQQNrt_mgXiV-SpA

Let me know what you all think :)

WASD/cursor Keys to move, space to jump, left shift to restart.

Wont load.

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 01:02:02 AM »

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 01:20:01 AM »

Fixed.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82743416/Avoision/Avoision.html

I get the unity plug in screen, but it doesn't load still. I will try it tomorrow though.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:27:51 AM by coffeeANDsoda »

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 01:31:16 AM »
Try now, I'm the mayor of Struggletown at the moment.

Here's an updated gameplay video:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:34:36 AM by marcos »

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 02:16:19 PM »
When you play tested the game, every time you destroyed or jumped on the orange red squares, did a coin appear after it's destroyed?

Plus, what do you feel about the speed of each object, does it feel right to you? I thought in the beginning, they seem a little to fast for me to keep up.

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 09:26:05 PM »
When you play tested the game, every time you destroyed or jumped on the orange red squares, did a coin appear after it's destroyed?

Plus, what do you feel about the speed of each object, does it feel right to you? I thought in the beginning, they seem a little to fast for me to keep up.

Yep. When you bounce straight up and down on a walking guy it looks like one doesn't spawn because you collect it instantly. It'll be more obvious with particle effects and sound effects.

At the moment it's super hard, and also the gameplay isn't where I want it to be. It needs to be more about avoiding enemies and taking them out at a good moment, rather than just bouncing constantly on their heads. But I will tweak the difficulty and so on once I've implemented the other enemy types.

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 10:37:42 PM »
And when many of these objects spawns is it done with one FSM plus arraymaker? Or is it multiple FSMs?

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 11:51:44 PM »
And when many of these objects spawns is it done with one FSM plus arraymaker? Or is it multiple FSMs?

I just have an FSM that spawns them from a pool using Pool Manager 5. All the behaviours and so on are just contained on the enemy prefabs.

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 06:12:39 PM »

I just have an FSM that spawns them from a pool using Pool Manager 5. All the behaviours and so on are just contained on the enemy prefabs.

Isn't there some way I could pull something similar to that with playmaker or write a c# script? Just in case I start experimenting with gameplay mechanics that are like a bullet hell or shmup?

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 04:03:58 AM »

Isn't there some way I could pull something similar to that with playmaker or write a c# script? Just in case I start experimenting with gameplay mechanics that are like a bullet hell or shmup?

I think someone made one in Playmaker and put it on the asset store, so it's definitely doable.

Latest webplayer:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82743416/Avoision%20New/Marky%20Bola%20-%20Avoision.html

New Features:

- More enemy types
- Gradual difficulty increase
- Removed timer
- Removed score multiplier, each enemy you defeat is worth 1.
- Added some basic sound effects