playMaker

Author Topic: UI instead of GUI  (Read 1457 times)

VascBogdan

UI instead of GUI
« on: February 28, 2015, 07:24:43 AM »
Well, in my version of Unity I don't have the GUI text, but I have the UI text. The "Set GUI text" action told me to add a GUI to my UI text, so this is what I've done. I added Arial font, modified the font size and removing the UI Text, leaving only the GUI text, but now I can't see the text. Tried to add a material, resizing the font etc., nothing works. What's the problem ?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: UI instead of GUI
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 12:53:07 AM »
Hi,

You can get it in "Component/Rendering/GUIText"

I think you are getting confused between 3 different UI system in Unity ( I know...)

a GUIText, is a text mesh component, so yeah if you want to use "Set GUI Text" you'll need that component. I don't think you have added the right component, I think you added a UI Text, which is the new Unity UI system which requires a canvas etc etc.

Bye,

Jean

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: UI instead of GUI
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 07:26:06 AM »
Unity removed GUI Text from the dropdown menu so it wouldn't muddle with the UI menus there.

Like Jean said, its a Mesh, so to make one nowadays you can create an Empty Game Object and add a GUI Text Component to it for the same result as the old menu button.

Whenever you see UI or GUI, remember that they are independent of each other completely. GUI is the legacy system which remains in Unity for Editor menus and legacy support while UI is the fancy new runtime system with the Canvases.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D