playMaker

Author Topic: Issues with U Gui text set text [SOLVED]  (Read 2236 times)

carl201010

• Playmaker Newbie
Issues with U Gui text set text [SOLVED]
« on: May 15, 2016, 07:53:29 AM »
Apologies if this is a basic question, I'll admit I'm a PlayMaker newbie but this seems a tad odd to me. I'm running through the PlayMaker tuts and am replicating '7, working with global variables, events and managers;' it all seems pretty straightforward although of course there is the minor issue with GuiText and UI (I'm using Unity 5.3.4.fl and PM 1.8.0.f43). I've a text object on a canvas and the actions as per the tut (Set Int Value, Convert Int to String) but added U Gui Text Set Text as the connection back to the text object. If I add text to this action and press play it behaves as expected and displays the text. However, if I try to set the text to my string global variable (which is listed as an option) and press play, not only does the string not display but one of the previous settings will show up (either the text in the text itself or the text from the U Gui Text Set Text field. On clicking stop the settings in the action will have reverted to some earlier setting. I confirm that I do not have reset on exit checked (this happened both ways though).
Again, apologies for the newbie question but this feels like either something is wrong, or more likely I'm missing a piece of information that my many searches have not turned up yet. Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:32:55 AM by carl201010 »

carl201010

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Issues with U Gui text set text [SOLVED]
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 11:32:07 AM »
I'll document my Newbie errors in case any other Newbie's want to make the same mistakes  8) The starting point was I was also using EasyTouch as an input system, which provides an EasyTouchControlCanvas. It took a minor about of fiddling to make this work with Circular Gravity Force but after a couple of small script edits they seem to play nicely. It looked as though dropping in collectibles using PM should have been a doddle, but my basic mistake was that I was putting the text object into the EasyTouch canvas. The second mistake was using U Gui Text Set Text >not< U Gui Set Text. I have not discovered what the difference is yet, I guess I just need to RTFM. Anyway, once I had added a standard canvas to the scene and put the text object in that and used the correct action, everything worked swimmingly. Happy days.