playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker and Modular Character System  (Read 3503 times)

nitoh

• Playmaker Newbie
Playmaker and Modular Character System
« on: February 11, 2015, 10:39:27 AM »
Dear Playmaker Community!

My question is as you can see in the topic name is, if it is possible to create a modular character system with playmaker?

What exactly i mean? I have a fantasy game prototype, where you can pick up items and it is stored in your inventory, and i want to create that if you get an armor-piece (for example for your torso) when you equip it, your naked torso-body mesh is get changed with the torso plate. (the torso plate is skinned too)

I have this modular character mesh, so i have a torso and arms, head, legs separately. my real question is if there is an action or some way in playmaker to change the current mesh of your character. it would have the same bones and all.

Any answer and tipp or guideline is appreciated!!!

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: Playmaker and Modular Character System
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:48:43 AM »
Sure, its possible. All you're really doing is swapping objects out.

I made this system, which is similar but for interchangeable ship parts.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

nitoh

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 11:08:49 AM »
Thanks your answer!

But those parts are skinned or bone/dummy attached? Because my character part meshes needs deformations, like a new trouser or something.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 11:39:08 AM »
The ship parts are not skinned. You may need to do some research on was is specifically required before deciding on your tools to develop the system.

There is some useful information here:
http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/234395/rpg-armors-and-clothes-best-way-to-animate-each-pa.html

You can access most low level variables and methods with the Set Property / Get Property actions as well as the other Script Control category and can store any Object type as a variable in the Playmaker Editor to manipulate so it is technically possible to do just about anything. If you're willing to code custom actions then you can do anything you could do with normal scripting but with the flexibility of using state machines to organize your work and logic systems.

With more complex stuff like this you're typically best off assuming that you'll need to code custom actions just for the sake of making the workflow substantially faster and easier. It's common to see that done. You can likely get this done without any custom actions but again, its a matter of feasibility and time involved to do it with the vanilla actions alone because they are very generic and may not have the specific output that you need for your specific system.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

nitoh

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 05:31:52 PM »
Thanks Lane for your help, i think i found the solution.

In this threadhttp://forum.unity3d.com/threads/stitch-multiple-body-parts-into-one-character.16485/ there is the script i need. all i had to do is to create a Playmaker action out of it.

I dont know how to do this translating, every help is appreciated.

And again thank you for your help!