playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker roadmap after 1.8  (Read 6856 times)

d2duplo

• Playmaker Newbie
Playmaker roadmap after 1.8
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently learning more about playmaker before I buy this tool, but I didn't found any roadmap or reference when it will be released the playmaker 2.0 version.

Of course I'm not expecting to know the exact date but if there is some hints like "not before Unity 5.1" for me to be able to make a more weighted buying decision.

Thanks.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: Playmaker roadmap after 1.8
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
Definitely an Alex type of question (maybe he can drop by and share his thoughts :) ), but as far as I know while the Roadmap isn't maintained at this time, the Release Notes are kept up with the latest changes to the beta. It's not a glance at what 2.0 might be, but it does elude to the overall direction and show what is on the way. It's likely to be updated once 1.8 is released as some of the goals on it have been reached.

I haven't heard anything about 2.0, such as if it is intended to be a separate product (I dont think so?) which seems to be your concern here. At any rate, Playmaker 1.7.x is quite robust and 1.8 is added some needed features like Array management and a vast number of other improvements you can find on the Release Notes page.

1.8 Beta is currently well along in its beta (release candidate 17 iirc now) so I would expect it soon, however its hard to say since recent Unity 5 beta's seem to destabilize things sometimes it may be closer or parallel to when Unity 5.0 drops.

I hope that clarifies a bit.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

d2duplo

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 03:10:13 PM »
Hi Lane,

Indeed my concern was about the disclaimer found on the Playmaker FAQ's ("Are updates free?  Yes! All 1.X updates are free and accessible via the Unity Asset Store.") which seemed to indicate there is a new product on it's way.
Since Unity is moving to 5.0 and, as you told it has lots of changes, I just wanted to be assured Playmaker wasn't doing the same thing now.

Thank you for the clarification.

P.S. - I have to look for the Alex's questions. :-)

xunxun

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 03:26:08 AM »
unity 5 is out. How about playmaker 1.8? just can wait for that.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 04:29:34 AM »
Hi,

1.8 is not ready yet. that's why there is this intermediate 1.7.8 version that brings support for Unity 5.

So, patience is required :) I too can't wait, I have many projects and updates on various packages that relies on 1.8 and I can't go back cause fsm done in 1.8 are not backward compatible ( part of the delay with 1.8, lots of core changes requiring extra care before releasing).

Bye,

Jean

mweyna

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 03:32:11 PM »
So with A* being unsupported for so long, I was looking into APEX, but the actions on the github require 1.8 (https://github.com/jeanfabre/PlayMaker--ApexPath). How would I get a copy of 1.8 if the asset store only has 1.7.8?

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 04:17:27 PM »
I think there is only one action in that repository and it was made as an example for the Apex guys to study.

They had slated to do Playmaker actions in February but it has since been pushed back on their roadmap.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

mweyna

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 04:32:00 PM »
So if I understand that correctly the package Jean linked to was just a test code asset for them and in no way meant as Apex integration into Playmaker?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 02:01:23 AM »
Hi,

Yeah, this Apex repository is a work in progress, and only addressed at people being part of the beta.

Maybe you can contact the author of Apex, he's certainly overloaded with work, so a reminder will help.

Bye,

Jean