playMaker

Author Topic: Action Adventure RPG / Hack 'n Slash / Dungeon Crawler Framework  (Read 17301 times)

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
Hey guys, I'm putting together a profile for my next Playmaker kit. This is going to be my most ambitious project yet. I've been waiting a long time to tackle this particular genre and finally the time has come! I will need everyone's input so that I can decide which features will make the cut and in what order.

The idea is to create an Action Adventure RPG / Hack 'n Slash / Dungeon Crawler type framework. I want it to be easy to use, full of customization options, and feature tons of potential replay value. I want people to be able to quickly and easily put together their own stories and adventures in a sandbox style development environment.

I've made a quick list of what I would like to include in the kit:

- Melee, Ranged, Magic and Support Combat
- Hp / Mana / Energy system
- XP and Leveling
- Character Stats
- Enemy AI
- Aggro Radius
- Friendly AI
- Enemy and Ally Pathfinding
- Mobile / Gamepad / PC Controls
- Cross Platform Photon Mutiplayer
- Local Multiplayer
- Local Split Screen or Shared Screen
- Loot Drops
- Inventory
- Gear Slots
- Gear Stats
- Weapon Stats
- Chests
- NPCs
- Dialogue
- Quests
- Currency
- NPC Shops
- Save / Load
- Puzzle Interactions (Pushing Blocks etc.)
- Minimap
- Character Creator
- Crafting
- Randomly Generated Level Layouts

Let me know what you think, now is the time to share! If there is anything you would like to see added or something on this list that you think isn't necessary please share. I am pulling inspiration and features from many different games and genres, so if you have any game suggestions or an idea as to what genre this kit would fall into exactly, I'm listening!

I plan to start with basic movement and combat. Multiplayer will be integrated from the beginning, this way anyone can hop into the latest webplayer build and play test new features with myself and others.
More templates on the Unity Asset Store!

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

xion

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Action Adventure RPG / Hack 'n Slash / Dungeon Crawler Framework
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 08:44:13 PM »
sound great but it seems like a lot of work but I love to see it happen

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 09:08:22 PM »
sound great but it seems like a lot of work but I love to see it happen
I realize this is indeed a lot of work. I am asking for opinions so that I can cut out any unnecessary features, or at least focus on the more important ones for the time being. I am up for the challenge regardless and I can't wait to get started!

I should point out that this is more of a "dream list" for me, I will likely cut this list in half or more for the sake of actually being able to execute and deliver a kit in this lifetime.  :P
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:24:27 PM by Graham »

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

PlaymakerNOOB

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 09:33:58 PM »
This would appear to be the most ambitious playmaker kit available!

Suggestions to remove:
-Character Creator
Why? Appears to be a lot of work for little reward.  Additionally, as an isometric game, armor and such will help obscure any uniqueness that may have been created.

-Crafting
Why?  Again, lots of work for little reward.  This is not something that will be used by every developer and well... it has to be done correctly to even be worth the time by the player.

-Local split screen + local multiplayer
Why?  Split screen is necessary when no internet options are available (See Goldeneye 64 & Halo 1).  Since photon is provided, why use split screen?  Additionally, I can imagine the harrowing experience of getting emails for split screen support on mobile devices.  Local multiplayer via bluetooth or wifi should be something that is added as a bonus or stretch goal.   Sell over 100 kits and i'll add local multiplayer. 

Suggestions to add:
+Talent Tree/Perks
Why?  I see two variations.  The easy one where you can do "+2% to damage" or "+2% health" or something a bit more robust where holy spells do 10% more damage to undead.  Fire staff equipped do 8% more damage, "Your sneak ability reduces enemies aggro range by 20%", etc.  This allows for more meaningful customization for the developers and their players.

Referencing classic world of warcraft talent tree http://rpgworld.altervista.org/335/deathknight.php

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:08:54 AM »
Thanks for your input PlaymakerNOOB!

I hear what you're saying about character creation, it is at the bottom of the list for that very reason. However you assume the gameplay will be isometric, I haven't actually decided what kind of control scheme I will go with yet. I already have dual sticks ready on every platform, so I was pondering using the right stick (or mouse) to control the camera. This would allow you to play from behind your character or from above, the player would face wherever you point the camera essentially. I guess it would be easier to go with a standard isometric view.

You are also right about crafting, this is at the bottom of the list as well. I just put it in there because I thought it would be fun to make, but it probably won't make the cut.

I wanted to include split screen because I believe playing this type of game with another person, on a nice tv while sitting on the couch can be the most pleasurable way to play. It doesn't really have to be split screen either, both can share the same screen space like on console diablo iii.

I also love your idea of stretch goals, I never thought of going this route with a template before.

As for talent trees, it would be doable. I would have to come of with a set of base attributes that they would all be based on. I was going to have to do this anyways if I want to have gear stats. Rather that having an attribute that affects multiple things (Stamina, Spirit etc), I think it would be easier to go the more direct route of having an attack power attribute for instance.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 09:46:34 AM »
Thats a huge list of features with lots of hard ones!

I'm actually making a Top-Down framework, but its code-driven instead of having Playmaker as its roots. That feature list is massive for sure! I would recommend cutting everything beneath Local Multiplayer and focusing more on what the minimum product is.

Assets generally grow over time. UFPS started very simple, I think I paid $5 for it and now its a widely used staple FPS asset even with multiplayer and AI features. So again, I would suggest identifying the base product that is functional and simple enough to get started with. If you add a feature, it should be done well enough to not require any outside extensions to extend or replace it. Having less features in the minimum product generally results in higher quality and buyer satisfaction.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 10:39:45 AM »
Thats a huge list of features with lots of hard ones!

I'm actually making a Top-Down framework, but its code-driven instead of having Playmaker as its roots. That feature list is massive for sure! I would recommend cutting everything beneath Local Multiplayer and focusing more on what the minimum product is.

Assets generally grow over time. UFPS started very simple, I think I paid $5 for it and now its a widely used staple FPS asset even with multiplayer and AI features. So again, I would suggest identifying the base product that is functional and simple enough to get started with. If you add a feature, it should be done well enough to not require any outside extensions to extend or replace it. Having less features in the minimum product generally results in higher quality and buyer satisfaction.

Sound advice Lane. I am indeed trying to go the route of not requiring any outside extensions. I have been making my own joysticks and mobile controls as to not require any extra purchases, just as I recently did for my Platforming kit.

You say you are working on a top-down framework already, is it in the same vein as this kit? I don't want to be stepping on each other's toes. In case you are curious, I have been taking inspiration from games like Battleheart Legacy, Minigore 2, Meltdown, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Oceanhorn, Pocket RPG, Tiny Legends: Monster Crasher, Diablo III etc.

With all of the input I have been receiving I have been boiling it down to more of a minimal viable product.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 01:40:29 PM by Graham »

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 11:14:53 AM »
Sounds like you have much more RPG style features planned than I do. I'm going for more of a Helldivers, Magicka, Gauntlet type of thing. Inventory isn't even a planned base feature for me =) ... Plus, its code driven instead of Playmaker driven so I think we have two different things in the works.
Products by Cleverous

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 11:19:42 AM »
Sounds like you have much more RPG style features planned than I do. I'm going for more of a Helldivers, Magicka, Gauntlet type of thing. Inventory isn't even a planned base feature for me =) ... Plus, its code driven instead of Playmaker driven so I think we have two different things in the works.
Does that mean your kit won't require Playmaker at all to run?

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 11:21:24 AM »
Does that mean your kit won't require Playmaker at all to run?

Correct. I planned on create Actions for it as needed, after release.
Products by Cleverous

rik

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 01:51:33 PM »
Hi it look a very log features list what was time span to develop to game totally and their are many kits on asset store already so how about making rts games that might be simple and may have some potential for time you take to create the kit

BGM

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 08:09:01 AM »
Hi!

Very interesting project!
I would suggest to make it "KISS" (Keep It Simple & Smart)!
I believe, as a future buyers ;-), that it's easier to upgrade a framework (to add new features) than to downgrade (remove unused or unwanted features).
I would first choose a "game model" like Gauntlet or Diablo for example, in order to define the gameplay style.
Then, as suggested by Lane, maybe you should begin with the basics for the first release then adding regularly new features.

For your todo list, I would suggest to do it in this order :
First release of your framework :
- Melee, Ranged, Magic and Support Combat
- Hp / Mana / Energy system --> idem. What is the difference between Mana & energy?? Maybe you just set HP & Mana to keep it simple?
- XP and Leveling
- Character Stats --> keep it simple : strength, endurance, intelligence and agility
- Enemy AI --> With differents paterns : berserker, shooter, etc.
- Aggro Radius --> what is it?
- Enemy and Ally Pathfinding
- Mobile / Gamepad / PC Controls --> excellent! Mobile controls would be cool!! This feature could make your framework a must-have
- Save / Load
- Minimap
- Loot Drops
- Inventory
- Gear Slots
- Gear Stats
- Weapon Stats

Second release
- Friendly AI --> definitly a good feature but not fundamental
- Chests
- NPCs
- Dialogue
- Quests
- Currency
- NPC Shops
- Puzzle Interactions (Pushing Blocks etc.)

Future releases :
- Cross Platform Photon Mutiplayer --> huge work there....keep it for later!
- Local Multiplayer --> idem
- Local Split Screen or Shared Screen --> That would be a top feature!!! But again, I would suggest tp keep it for later
- Randomly Generated Level Layouts

And to conclude, these features do not seem necessary to me :
- Character Creator (We can do it ourselves)
- Crafting (but I must admit that I don't like crafting...)

Good luck! ;-)

Bhoopalan

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 02:04:10 PM »
I'm not sure how many other playmaker kit makers are out there but you sure seem to be an asset to an asset like playmaker.. ;)

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 03:00:01 PM »
I'm not sure how many other playmaker kit makers are out there but you sure seem to be an asset to an asset like playmaker.. ;)

Hahaha, thanks Bhoopalan!

@BGM Thank you for taking the time to share your thought on this.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:01:54 PM by Graham »

PlaymakerNOOB

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 09:40:20 PM »
Is this project still alive?