playMaker

Author Topic: GUI Menu System  (Read 7926 times)

gateway

• Playmaker Newbie
GUI Menu System
« on: July 20, 2015, 05:54:20 PM »
So I have been tasked to create x amount of buttons on screen and allow the end user to use the arrow up and down keys to select a button options (which then highlights) and if they hit enter fires off an event.

Ideally something like this.

Option A (highlighted default)
Option B (normal button text color)
Option C (normal button text color)

Navigate by arrow or any type of input (other keys, game pad etc).

Lets use the arrow up and down keys for this example, moving the arrow key down highlights the next button and so forth.  Clicking the enter button on any highlighted button fires off the event.

I have a gui skin setup with the active, hover, highlight stages set up and a set gui skin playmaker options.

Im not sure how to set a default highlighted colors, then also on that toggle between buttons changing the highlight color and waiting for a enter press.

Any ideas?

gateway

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: GUI Menu System
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
Anyone?  :'(

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 01:02:41 PM »
This can be handled entirely by the new UI system. Check out the Learn section of the Unity site to see how to use it.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

gateway

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 02:08:17 PM »
This can be handled entirely by the new UI system. Check out the Learn section of the Unity site to see how to use it.

Hmm crap I was hoping not to get into the new UI system since most of the app is already done with legacy since the support in Playmaker is much better so far with older stuff w/o having to use some sort of proxy system.

It would be nice to see some sort of video tutorial on how to use all these new elements with playmaker.. thoughts?

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 02:15:13 PM »
There are a few UI tutorials on our YouTube for various things but the way you make UI in the new system is so much more standalone than the legacy way of doing things, to the extent that you can basically make all of the UI through the inspectors and canvas options without any 3rd party plugins.

All you'll need Playmaker for is firing events from the buttons and updating text values, really.

Plus there are tons of built-in features in the Canvas to handle aspect ratios, multiple resolutions, scale, different input types (i made a UI for the mouse and it 'just worked' on a touch TV), directional button navigation and lots of other stuff, identifying first selected... It's all in the UI inspectors now.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

gateway

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 02:18:04 PM »
There are a few UI tutorials on our YouTube for various things but the way you make UI in the new system is so much more standalone than the legacy way of doing things, to the extent that you can basically make all of the UI through the inspectors and canvas options without any 3rd party plugins.

All you'll need Playmaker for is firing events from the buttons and updating text values, really.

Plus there are tons of built-in features in the Canvas to handle aspect ratios, multiple resolutions, scale, different input types (i made a UI for the mouse and it 'just worked' on a touch TV), directional button navigation and lots of other stuff, identifying first selected... It's all in the UI inspectors now.

Ok ill dig into it, if you have any pointers or vids that are specifically related with playmaker and the new ui/canvas that would be great.. or at least ones you would suggest..

gateway

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 06:07:31 PM »
Ok I have it some what working the few things I cant figure out is lets say with the 3 buttons

• Button 1 (transition highlighted)
    Button 2
    Button 3

When the buttons are enabled, I want button 1 to be in its highlighted stage (active button) and display the highlighted color. 

I have the color switching done by using the translation animation, and a yellow color when active.  Somehow when I start I want button one to have the Active/highlighted state.. any thoughts?

gateway

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 01:46:19 PM »
Btw I have this resolved, lots of little quirks I ran into esp with setting the highlighted text.  Ill see if I have time to do a video tutorial of this.