playMaker

Author Topic: Talking with the game  (Read 2082 times)

lozzymclozz

• Playmaker Newbie
Talking with the game
« on: December 16, 2015, 06:36:53 AM »
Hi everyone,

Which would be the best way to make a text game where you can write text to answer questions? I mean, the type of game you could talk with the computer, like a fake conversation game.

Thanks!!!

miguelfanclub

Re: Talking with the game
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »

lozzymclozz

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 01:42:58 PM »
Yep, this kind of dialogue system is not hard to achieve with Playmaker. But I was thinking in a game where the player can input text and the game answers, like a whatsapp conversation with the game. But thanks anyway :)

miguelfanclub

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 08:36:47 AM »
Sorry dude, you are right!
Let me know if you find something similar to what you are looking for.

drown

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 09:05:58 AM »
Without any third party assets except playmaker it will be a very hard task. Answering requires the computer to understand the user input. You could do this by searching for certain keywords ("String contains" , Regex etc.) , but you could never rule out the possibility that the user answers not as you expect (e.g "yep" instead of "yes" ) or generally avoid typos. Understanding language would require a complex system featuring some sort of machine learning or cloud databases.

Thats why you often see prewritten dialog options inside games like Skyrim - it can be tied to a state, the story will progress as you want it and the user cant fall flat because he uses some kind of slang or misspelling.

EDIT : You might want to look at the game SUPERHOT - it has a very cool way to display dialogue - the user has to enter an answer, but no matter which buttons he presses the correct answer/question writes out on display. It is a very creative approach to the problem :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:07:47 AM by drown »